Thread: Music Video

Default Music Video

Hey Guys,

So I recently got some advice from Rembrandt Rob for a music video I was working on for a friend. I'm posting it now because I told everyone I would in the "How do I do this?" section of the forum, not because I'm honestly proud of it. Thank you Rob for the lighting tips, for the most part (aside from a few amateur mistakes on my part) I got what I was looking to get visually for this project. Now, the reason I'm not necessarily proud of this is because I had planned and begun to shoot this video for a friend, but seeing as though he has recently begun to dabble (and I do mean only dabble) in video, he had his own vision in mind while we were shooting. He did not tell me of this, and even after I clearly told him what I was trying to achieve, he agreed to it, then tried to have me go in a completely opposite direction in post. A direction that did not really work with the footage we got. Essentially it was a case of him not wanting to give up any control for this music video, but leading me on to believe it was my project to run free with. I decided my friendship is more important than trying to get my way with this video, so I did it the way he asked.

Originally it was going to be a nice cool blue colour grade and mostly focusing on an outdoor scene of him in the snow. He would be singing his song entitled "Coldest Embrace", so naturally I wanted to have cooler tones to match both the lyrics and title. I had specifically shot angles that I would be able to place lens flares (soft and natural looking, not in your face) to add some artistic umph to some shots. I shot some angles on a DIY shoulderrig I made, with the assumption I would stabilize any shaky footage in post. I cut the video so that it was slower moving at the start to assist the soft flow from the beginning, and have the cuts pick up a bit at the bridge (which gets a little more exciting). I shot a scene regarding a young couple to go with the lyrics of the song, clearly in some sort of awkward fight that they don't want to be in, and adds a glimmer of hope towards the end. Now, out of everything I described, the only thing he wanted in post was the same way I cut the video together, and scratch everything else. He basically just wanted a montage of shots, colour graded slightly warmer, eliminated the outdoor shots (which again was my main set of shots for my vision, which he agreed to) completely. He knocked off 50% of story shots and wanted it focused on him signing inside and wanted no flares (which I framed specific shots to have, and now where that flare was supposed to be looks empty). I know this was a bit of a rant, but all in all, I don't feel this is a good example of my work at all and honestly I'm not happy about it. So I won't keep you any longer, thanks for reading my novel, and here's the video :P.

Brock

P.S. Feel free to critique of course, but I will make another music video soon, I'll do so with creative freedom for another friend, and you will get to see what I can do. Thanks.
    Last edited by BrockT; 04-04-2014 at 08:41 PM.

I thought the video aspect was great

the voice could have been mixed a bit more prominently in the audio

very well done

Grmpf - lost long response because of timeout so here short form:

- Video lacked something special
    - Didn't mind the color grading
    - Clear location from spare chairs 00:35 and chords 01:15
    - Kitchen footage too dark
    - Little footage variety - mentioned snow shots could have pimped it

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Grmpf - lost long response because of timeout so here short form:

- Video lacked something special
    - Didn't mind the color grading
    - Clear location from spare chairs 00:35 and chords 01:15
    - Kitchen footage too dark
    - Little footage variety - mentioned snow shots could have pimped it
    - With a lot of the story shots eliminated by my friend, and the shots I did outside (which were supposed to be the main shots of the video to emphasize the "cold" aspect) eliminated, I felt the same way.
    - Colour grading was was at a minimum, if you have seen the cool tones I used before, then you'd know what it could have been. After it was all said and done, my friend even admitted he preferred the old colour grade he asked me to change
    - Yeah, I learned even a backdrop would have been great on most of the piano shots. Would've given it a more professional feel
    - Kitchen shots aren't dark at all on my screen. Maybe my monitor settings are a little different?
    - Yes, he eliminated almost 40% of shots I had, really frustrating because they looked really nice.