Thread: Voice over on cheap!

Default Voice over on cheap!

Hi guys,just giving a bit of feedback on advice I got off members off this forum that has helped improve my voice over for my boxing documentary.
    The VO kicks in at 30s point,both vids are the same.

Prior to advice off forum members http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Px-EbDmfXc

I was adviced to get better recording equimpent which I did,after a bit of advice I got Blue Yeti USB Microphone. Next thing I did was place the mic on a towel on the desk and pulled a think blanket over me and the mic,I had a bit of light from desk lamp. I might have looked a bit mad if anybody saw me but I think there is a great improvement in the sound.

After advice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKZGoPkc-SQ

Just thought I would pass this on for anybody else who wants to do voiceover on the cheap.

There is a definite improvement.

3. Default

loads better!...thanks for this, im working on a project with voice over so will use these tips.

A far superior voiceover, though a little lift on the treble wouldn't go amiss. Also if you want to add further polish, learn the art of emphasising key words. If you listen to pro voice overs on TV ads, you'll notice they don't just say "this is a great product" the say " this is a great product" Hope you catch my drift which will become clear when you listen to the pros. It'll add so much more to the VO
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Technically better, perhaps, but I actually prefer the original. This is possibly why I'll never make a world class film!
    Why do I prefer it? In the improved version the dry voiceover doesn't feel as much part of the film. It feels like I'm watching images, with music and ambient sound. They sort of fit together, like they're coming from the same place. The voiceover, being dry, sounds like it's separate from the film, like someone is sitting next to me and talking directly into my ear. I pt this down to the music and ambient having a certain amount of reverb (which would fit with the mainly wide and mid images we have). I have two "audio spaces" copeting for my attention.

In the first attempt, the voiceover felt more part of the film, rather than a comment on it. But I appreciate I'm probably alone in this opinion.

I have little doubt that some added top end to make it sparkle a bit more will help.

Although usually recorded dry, are voiceovers really left that dry?
    Last edited by TimStannard; 04-06-2014 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Typos/clarity
    Tim

I think the improvement is fab, well done

Thanks guys

Listening again, I'm minded to agree with Tim. The mix is missing! Mixing the ambient with the VO, raising and lowering between VOs would make a big difference and help the piece blend together as one.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Mixing the ambient with the VO, raising and lowering between VOs would make a big difference and help the piece blend together as one.
    That's what I should have realised. It's in the mix, rather than the quality of the recording.Obviously you need a good quality recording (which you now have) to start with.
    Tim