Thread: Change of career

Default Change of career

Hi Folks,

Not totally sure this is in the right section but here goes. I'm a recording / mixing engineer by trade, I've been involved with audio for over 15 years now but unfortunately I have an auto immune disorder which has attacked my left inner ear and rendered my days in the music industry over on any professional level. As you can imagine this is very upsetting but life goes on and i need to find a new creative outlet even if it is not a career. I have every intention of researching this further but welcome insight from people who are currently in the industry.

As you can imagine my editing chops are pretty tight and I learn new sequence based software very quickly. I've done video editing in Vegas in the past but not to any great extent. My questions are:

- As a recording engineer looking to make a jump over to video, what are the basic key elements I need to learn. Where mic placement, good capture, good use of eq and compression and a vision of the final product are essential principals in audio, what should be my initial aims going down this road?

- I'm 30, very creative and a quick learner. It's taken me 3-4 years to get my tracking / mixing chops to a professional standard. Am i looking at the same learning curve here..if not more?

- What tasks / exercises should I start with to familiarize myself with a camera and it's various modes of function.

- I'm not about to scrimp on gear, I've got about 5000 - 6000 to invest and was looking at two Canon 5D iii's as a start. As you've probably guessed, I'm not very knowledgeable but I want to learn with good equipment. Any suggestions? Aside from the cameras themselves what other basic gear will I need?

- What area's of the industry are easy targets for income. I should imagine promotional and corporate sectors are good areas to be in? For jollies I'll work on music videos and possibly short movies but any extra views here regarding areas are most welcome.

- I'm on Windows, I have a quick PC which I've recently built, I7 4930k, 16GB RAM (upgradable to x64GB) and currently an AMD W5000 GPU. I'll probably be using premier. Open to other suggestion on the hardware software front.

- Probably loads I've not considered so if you willing, fill me in!

Thanks for taking the time

B
    Last edited by burglar; 04-02-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Well, I first thought the career change was to a Burglar, apparantly not. Welcome B! - I'm sure you know all there is to know about the audio side and have a good range of mics, so much so you'll be an invaluable member here for your audio knowledge.

A good choice of cameras, though I'm sure with a little more research into your final focus point you may decide on other cams that have a better range of shooting options. So many to choose from especially those with interchangable lenses.
    Where to focus? Well you're young enough to decide and conquer any avenue you go down. Corporate? Music? Event? . . . Weddings?
    Don't discount the weddings as many with good reputations can charge up to 3K. That's 500 per day which is a lot more than most corporates are willing to pay nowadays. Ok you will after a few years build up some good contacts in the corporate world and if your portfolio is good you will eventually hit some high spots, but there are so many 'video guys' waving their camera around the 'business promo' world that some in our area are charging 200 per promo. Yes 200!!
    Imagine how many of those you need to pay your bills and how soon you'll run out of local customers.
    It's essential whichever cams you choose that you learn them inside out and how to reset iris,WB and focus in the dark, cause one day you'll need to.
    Master your cameras, create an imaginative portfolio and customers will eventually be beating a path to your door. It won't happen overnight, but if you keep hammering away with passion, it will eventually happen.
    I'm no help on advice for your PC or editing software, but there are many here who will help with whichever choice you make. Good luck!!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Well, I first thought the career change was to a Burglar, apparantly not. Welcome B! - I'm sure you know all there is to know about the audio side and have a good range of mics, so much so you'll be an invaluable member here for your audio knowledge.

A good choice of cameras, though I'm sure with a little more research into your final focus point you may decide on other cams that have a better range of shooting options. So many to choose from especially those with interchangable lenses.
    Where to focus? Well you're young enough to decide and conquer any avenue you go down. Corporate? Music? Event? . . . Weddings?
    Don't discount the weddings as many with good reputations can charge up to 3K. That's 500 per day which is a lot more than most corporates are willing to pay nowadays. Ok you will after a few years build up some good contacts in the corporate world and if your portfolio is good you will eventually hit some high spots, but there are so many 'video guys' waving their camera around the 'business promo' world that some in our area are charging 200 per promo. Yes 200!!
    Imagine how many of those you need to pay your bills and how soon you'll run out of local customers.
    It's essential whichever cams you choose that you learn them inside out and how to reset iris,WB and focus in the dark, cause one day you'll need to.
    Master your cameras, create an imaginative portfolio and customers will eventually be beating a path to your door. It won't happen overnight, but if you keep hammering away with passion, it will eventually happen.
    I'm no help on advice for your PC or editing software, but there are many here who will help with whichever choice you make. Good luck!!
    Hi Zero,

Thanks for your reply. Certainly glad to help on the audio capture point of view. I should imagine that due to the fact mics can't be seen in shot that the distance causes both acoustic and signal / noise ratio issues.

I'll take into account all your info and thanks for your promising response. Can you make any suggestions regarding cameras an more so what variety of lenses I'll need to provide a diverse service?

There's lots of discussion on those points here http://www.videoforums.co.uk/threads...!!!!-need-help but the best investment has to be f2.8 lenses
    Last edited by Zero; 04-03-2014 at 03:19 PM.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club