Thread: Anyone else going down to LIFF?

Default Anyone else going down to LIFF?

Had a short I wrote and directed accepted by the London Independent Film Fest. Will be playing on the 10th April and the title is 'Finding Angels.' Anyone else going down?

As a note, I feel like the ugly duckling as there are professionals who have spent thousands on theirs and I suspect their catering budgets were more than I spent on my entire short. There are some truly mind-blowing shorts there.

So anyone else going down?
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen

Blog Entries

Congratulations. That's some achievement!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Congratulations. That's some achievement!
    Thanks. Yes, it's a good fest. I know a few people going down there but there are a ton of professionals and 99% of the shorts seem to be shot by pros. The standard is insanely high and I have no idea how my little short managed to sneak in.

So I was wondering if anyone else was popping down there. There are a ton of great shorts and some decent features.

Well I would suggest that you wear a colourful outfit and strut around like you own the place

oh and you should chug a few drinks as soon as you walk in, eat directly from the buffet pots and make up names like "stretch", "slim", "pie hole" and "d bag" for everybody new that you meet
    Last edited by zamiotana; 04-05-2014 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    Well I would suggest that you wear a colourful outfit and strut around like you own the place

oh and you should chug a few drinks as soon as you walk in, eat directly from the buffet pots and make up names like "stretch", "slim", "pie hole" and "d bag" for everybody new that you meet
    I am seriously out of my depth. The short playing before mine at the fest was directed by a pro with 20 years experience including well-known television series with household names on both sides of the Atlantic.

On a good day, 5 million viewers were watching his stuff.

On a good day, 5 viewers might look at my stuff.

Think I'll hide at the back...

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gorillaonabike View Post
    I am seriously out of my depth. The short playing before mine at the fest was directed by a pro with 20 years experience including well-known television series with household names on both sides of the Atlantic.

On a good day, 5 million viewers were watching his stuff.

On a good day, 5 viewers might look at my stuff.

Think I'll hide at the back...
    Don't worry about that man - at the end of the day you've all got into the same festival. All hoping fro the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Don't worry about that man - at the end of the day you've all got into the same festival. All hoping fro the same thing
    amen to that

What springer is really trying to say is you should just follow the "pro with 20 years experience" into the men's washroom and you will experience the same foul smells coming from his bathroom stall as anyone else's

The standard from the pros was absolutely unbelievable. My little short was totally outclassed by some of the absolutely incredible shorts on display. Fortunately, it wasn't the worst short there which made me very happy.

As an idea of how outclassed I was, I was talking to one director and I asked how much his location cost to hire. He told me 500 GBP.

I told him that sounded cheap for a couple of days. He responded that 500 quid was the cost per hour. On top of that, he had his crew, camera, sound gear, editing, cinema etc... The gulf in class was unbelievable although I had a great time and learned more than I ever thought I would. I am fully enthused and want to shoot a whole load of things.

Just because somebody has more money than you and has more talent than you and makes better movies than you doesn't necessarily mean that they are "better" than you (although chances are ...)

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    Just because somebody has more money than you and has more talent than you and makes better movies than you doesn't necessarily mean that they are "better" than you (although chances are ...)
    ...and better looking than me. Those pro directors are pros for a reason.

However, what was really interesting was a short which someone had thrown a ton of money at. It was by an inexperienced director who had a load of cash. Everyone agreed this was the worst short, although it had incredible locations, costumes, kit etc... It was interesting to see that money genuinely does not buy a good short.