Thread: Another how do I createa video like this post

Default Another how do I createa video like this post

Hello all

I would like to create a new blog with a series of short 5 minute films like the type seen here

foodcurated.com

I like the simplicity of them and the type of music used. However, I have never filmed and right now dont even have a camera..... so, what would be my best route to creating the same?

I dont have a fortune to spend but i understand that i may need decent kit to do this... what would be a good starter kit for me to use?

In terms of editing software, I use Linux and so AE etc dont work, can recommend Linux editing software?

A part of me is thinking I should outsource the filming and editing (or maybe the editing part) while i work on what I can do. if i went down this route what would be the best way for me, how much do editors cost?

Really I am just looking for tips and advice to get me thinking

Thanks

Wow, such a wide open question. There's nothing special about those films at all.

The thing most people overlook when starting out is good audio, which is at least 50% of good video. People will put up with a little shaky video but if the audio is bad they'll just switch off and go away. The chef in the second one is wearing a lav mic, probably wireless, so if you are trying to make something similar you need to be budgeting several hundred for audio alone. Camera wise you could make those with many of today's cameras, so trying to get specific is pointless. I could film those with anyone of maybe 20 or 30 different cameras around today.

If you're new to filming and editing you have a lot to learn. And I do mean a lot. Making a bad film takes almost no effort at all, but making a good one takes time, planning and expertise gained from many hours of practice, making mistakes and learning from them so next time you don't make them again.

Thinking you're going to buy a camera, find some software and then be making 5 minute films that are "good" within a short space of time is just fooling yourself.

So, before we go any further, what is your budget and how much time do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    Wow, such a wide open question. There's nothing special about those films at all.

The thing most people overlook when starting out is good audio, which is at least 50% of good video. People will put up with a little shaky video but if the audio is bad they'll just switch off and go away. The chef in the second one is wearing a lav mic, probably wireless, so if you are trying to make something similar you need to be budgeting several hundred for audio alone. Camera wise you could make those with many of today's cameras, so trying to get specific is pointless. I could film those with anyone of maybe 20 or 30 different cameras around today.

If you're new to filming and editing you have a lot to learn. And I do mean a lot. Making a bad film takes almost no effort at all, but making a good one takes time, planning and expertise gained from many hours of practice, making mistakes and learning from them so next time you don't make them again.

Thinking you're going to buy a camera, find some software and then be making 5 minute films that are "good" within a short space of time is just fooling yourself.

So, before we go any further, what is your budget and how much time do you have?
    Thanks David,

I knew the question was a little wide.... In terms of time, I dont have a huve amount and budget I am looking at around 2000.

I wonder if I would be better to get some film students on the job for pay to build their experience as even as students they will much more knowledge than me.