Thread: how to sync playhead with timeline? final cut pro x

Default how to sync playhead with timeline? final cut pro x

when i play a video longer that the wide of my screen it wont refresh the timeline where the playhead.
    i got camtasia for windows and i dont have problem, now that i m migration to apple i dont know how to solve that.
    thank you in advance guys

FCPX doesn't allow for auto scrolling timeline. Accept it and move on. It's very much on the request list but Apple have not yet made it happen and don't appear interested.

Personally I've got used to sideways scrolling using the magic mouse which works very well. If you're not using a magic mouse then hold the control key and use your regular mouse wheel. However, you'll notice that the thumbnails on the timeline don't update as you scroll. Part of FCPX performance comes from not having to update things that are not needed, and in that respect it works very well.

If you can't live without an auto scrolling timeline, find some other software (e.g. Premiere Pro) for now because FCPX just doesn't do it.

thank you so much for the answer.
    how come camtasia 8 or screenflow has the auto scrolling timeline and FCPX does not? haha that is crazy!!
    do you think premier is better than FCPX ? do they add features on ppl request?

thank you in advance

pd: i use trackball logitech marvel ( no scrool )

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    FCPX doesn't allow for auto scrolling timeline. Accept it and move on. It's very much on the request list but Apple have not yet made it happen and don't appear interested.

Personally I've got used to sideways scrolling using the magic mouse which works very well. If you're not using a magic mouse then hold the control key and use your regular mouse wheel. However, you'll notice that the thumbnails on the timeline don't update as you scroll. Part of FCPX performance comes from not having to update things that are not needed, and in that respect it works very well.

If you can't live without an auto scrolling timeline, find some other software (e.g. Premiere Pro) for now because FCPX just doesn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by gabak View Post
    do you think premier is better than FCPX ? do they add features on ppl request?
    I have both. After lots of work on both I use FCPX exclusively now. Other people prefer Premiere Pro. Adobe appear to ignore users and with each new release there are new bugs which they deny until it's absolutely proven by many users. This isn't just once, it's time and time again over many products.

Apple, while generally secretive do listen to end users. I've reported a couple of things and even made requests for some things and had direct contact back from Apple engineers asking for more information. Some things I asked for appears in new versions. Others, including a scrolling timeline have not. I assume there is a reason.

I'm not going to say FCPX is better than Premiere Pro or the other way around. Use the one that suits you best.

I got used to the scrolling timeline in Premiere Pro and loved it but now that I'm used to FCPX it has so many benefits over Premiere Pro (for me) that I don't mind not having the scrolling timeline as much as I would miss features from FCPX in Premiere Pro.

You may feel differently, and that's OK because all tools are and should always be a personal choice.
    Last edited by David Partington; 03-31-2014 at 10:15 AM.