Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone help me fix this narration audio?

1. Default Can someone help me fix this narration audio?

I have two narration tracks for some videos I'm working on.

The videos are all done but the audio is bugging me, cos there's some microphone hiss that's really noticeable with headphones.

I've tried capturing a noise print in Audition and removing it that way, and also adaptive reduction, but neither remove it properly.
    Last edited by oftmisplaced; 03-31-2014 at 09:18 AM.

I listened to tracka, but cannot really hear any obvious hiss.
    However, I can hear some silibance (on the 's' and 'sh' sounds); and there are some peaks at some of the explosive consonants (e.g. at 01:49, the "p" of "pictures").

3. Default

I was going to leave the Ps like they are, it's cos we didn't use a pop shield. I didn't really notice the silibance.

There's an ongoing microphone his every time he talks. It fades in and out with him, and on headphones it's noticeable to me at least, I watched this on a 480p YouTube video and you could still hear it.
    Last edited by oftmisplaced; 03-28-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Blog Entries

I can make it out. I did wonder whether it was particularly high and Tim and I couldn't hear it, but I've dropped the pitch by a couple of octaves and it's no more prominent.
    The problem is that this has already had a noise-gate applied so it is impossible to capture a decent "noise print" in order to apply a noise reduction algorithm. Personally I don't find the noise at all noticable and it would be less so if the hiss was consistent (ie it didn't drop to silence every time there is a slight pause. I'd probably leave it although you might consider masking it a little with another audio track of just (very faint) background noise or, dare I suggest it, music (yuk!)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by oftmisplaced View Post
    There's an ongoing microphone his every time he talks. It fades in and out with him
    Is it the effect of a compressor in a camera which is performing some kind of automatic volume control? Or perhaps a noise gate or other such filter being applied afterwards? Or from the MP3 compression?
    Is this exactly the same audio as was created in the original recording?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Is it the effect of a compressor in a camera which is performing some kind of automatic volume control? Or perhaps a noise gate or other such filter being applied afterwards? Or from the MP3 compression?
    Is this exactly the same audio as was created in the original recording?
    1) There's an original recording with probably a louder hiss and lots of mistakes.

2) Then I took that, cut out all the crap - in that version, as soon as he's said something, it straight cuts to silence, so there's not much background noise to extrapolate from it to use for denoising. I did noise remove that, but it was very lightly done.

(Unfortunately, I overwrote my original noisy version of 2, so if I wanted to work from that I'd need to start from scratch. )

3) I then took this slightly denoised track into Premiere, and faded it up and down at the beginning and end of dialogue to make the hissing less noticeable. That's tracka and trackb I've posted here.

7. Default

I will PM both of you the video links.

8. Default

To be clear, the problem is - a constant hissing sound in the background/room tone that you can still hear in the videos. I want to get rid of it so the audio is cleaner.
    Last edited by oftmisplaced; 03-31-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Blog Entries

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I can't tell what you've done other than making it stereo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast