Thread: A silly question, but...

1. Default A silly question, but...

So, I'm not a professional videographer, but I film stuff a lot. Anyway, I mostly use an old Canon XL1 because it's the only camera I ever owned that's never developed any kind of fault.
    Anyway, to save wear and tear, I've always put the tapes in a cheapo miniDV camcorder for capture to my PC, and I'm pretty sure I'm right in assuming, there would be no loss in quality from doing this, unless maybe a dirty head caused dropouts, but am I right? Surely DV is DV. Surely all that matters is the camera it was filmed on, not the one you use to play it back?

Blog Entries

After all this time you begin to doubt yourself? Panic not. You are 100% correct. So long as you don't suffer dropout when capturing (which your capture software should let you know), every bit your camera captured onto the tape will be transferred onto your hard drive - even the rubbish shots
    Tim

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    After all this time you begin to doubt yourself? Panic not. You are 100% correct. So long as you don't suffer dropout when capturing (which your capture software should let you know), every bit your camera captured onto the tape will be transferred onto your hard drive - even the rubbish shots
    Not so much doubt. Just that sudden realization that something that you know, you only know because it makes sense based on other stuff you know. I can't think of a single reason why a camera would automatically re-compress what was on the tape upon output, but then, who can say that, in their experience, technology has always been well designed and logically thought out. I think the mess we call technology these days, may cause me to reassess everything. Up to, and including, "Are wheels as round as they should be".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xgabrielx View Post
    reassess everything. Up to, and including, "Are wheels as round as they should be".
    LOL. And indeed is round necessarily the best shape for a wheel? In every universe?
    Tim