Thread: Chopping clips to a metronome

Lightbulb Chopping clips to a metronome

my background is in music, and my brother does film and editing. we recently did a music video collaboration. i noticed that he was spending most of his time chopping the video clips to get them to fit.

i was thinking of a way to make it more efficient.

i want to have a "slice to beats per minute" plugin. just drop your video clip into the slicer and it automatically finds the first beat, from which we chop.

chop it into the tempo grid, like so... 1/32t, 1/32, 1/16t, 1/16, 1/8t, 1/8, 1/4t, 1/4

can this already be done?

if not, can we do it, please?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arhythmtech View Post
    can this already be done?
    I'm sure it can in many packages but it is not desirable for a couple of reasons.
    First, simply chopping regularly produces an effect that is a best boring and at worst hypnotic (unless, of course, you want to induce hypnosis)

Second, this gives absolutely no regard to the content of the video - which part is edited in and which part edited out. Generally you'd want a certain action within the video to fall on a certain beat (even if this is the point you cut).

The way I deal with this (I don't do music videos, but I usually cut to the beat) is to put down markers on each beat. In Sony Vegas, my NLE) you can do this simply by playing the track (at half speed if you so desire) and tap the M key on every beat (or sub-beat). (Plug ins to do this automatically are available)This puts a market on each beat. It is then a simple matter to ensure that the cuts line up on those markers if "snap to markers" is switched on.
    Tim

In premiere pro you can add markers to the sequence and tell it to edit the clips to the markers. Just set your in point on each clip first so you know what will appear.

Blog Entries

Like most arts, there's a science behind the perception of what's "pleasing" in video. A good example is "cutting to the beat". You can create an algorithm to do this, and automated software exists. But theres a reason your brother spends time "chopping". He's applying his artistic interpretation and making decisions on the sequence, duration and timing of clips and cuts. That's why some people are "naturally good" at video editing.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    He's applying his artistic interpretation and making decisions on the sequence, duration and timing of clips and cuts. That's why some people are "naturally good" at video editing.
    The basics of art i think. Art, writing music or editing video's is all about using your personal view and interpretations. This way you can be creative, innovative and unique.