Thread: Buying Video Conversion Programs

Question Buying Video Conversion Programs

Hello there,

I've been editing various personal and professional video projects for about a decade now and yet there is still something that always bewilders and frustrates me: Video formats.

Video formatting has become the bane of my existence since it's always an irritating struggle between the formats that various video editing software I've used accepts and doesn't like. I've downloaded various freeware conversion programs over the years always with mixed results that don't quite often work perfectly, losing quality, not working, or even losing all audio. I just got a bunch of footage for some personal fan videos I wanted to try doing but I run into the problem again of Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 (My choice editing program at the moment) not accepting any of the footage which is in .mkv. I've had it. I'm through fighting with video formatting and there doesn't seem to be any Premiere Pro extensions for other video formats. I'm ready and willing to try my hand at buying professional/commercial video conversion programs.

So I ask this forum, what are some good video conversion software out there that is worth the money? What are the pros and cons? How much do they cost? I'd appreciate any and all information you're willing to give me as I do some research.

Thank you.

Computer Information
    Computer: Macbook Pro - Mac OS X
    Editing Software: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5
    Last edited by Sephirex; 03-24-2014 at 09:36 PM.

In general, Premiere CS5 can handle alot of different formats. But not ".mkv", which make use of Matroska (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska).
    I use mkv files (my TV loves them), so for the best quality, I purchased software from DivX; whose name I trust, and which can create my MKV files.
    Their site www.divx.com offers a download of their suite, but I cannot remember if the MKV to MP4 converter is available in the trial version.
    It works for me, as the MP4 may then be easily inported into Premiere.

I am curious. How did the original videos come to be in the mkv format?

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    In general, Premiere CS5 can handle alot of different formats. But not ".mkv", which make use of Matroska (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska).
    I use mkv files (my TV loves them), so for the best quality, I purchased software from DivX; whose name I trust, and which can create my MKV files.
    Their site www.divx.com offers a download of their suite, but I cannot remember if the MKV to MP4 converter is available in the trial version.
    It works for me, as the MP4 may then be easily inported into Premiere.

I am curious. How did the original videos come to be in the mkv format?
    Yes, Premiere can handle a variety of things, which is great. However, every so often there's something I want to make and the format is incompatible, leading to a VERY long process of finding something that converts it decently. MKV files are great to watch but a pain if I want to use anything for editing. I forgot DivX also has some conversion software that they sell, I'll make a note to look into that.

The videos just came to be that way when I downloaded them, however, the original source online claimed that the videos were DVD rips so that's probably a factor in that.