Thread: Audio-Video Editing Rig

Default Audio-Video Editing Rig

Hi. I am looking for a new PC/Laptop mainly for audio editing and some video editing. I have read around the web and found a few things I probably want in on my computer:

Firewire or IEEE 1394 input,
    An SSD hard-drive or atleast an 7200rpm hard drive
    A half-decent video card for video editing
    A decent sized RAM (atleast 8 gb i think)
    Processor which isnt a slug probably

I was looking at a refurbished Mac Mini for 579. (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FD388B/A)
    It ahs some good reviews online and since Im not too experienced with computers an Apple product would probably give me less headaches. The Intel HD 4000 isnt too good though, which might be a problem for video editing. The hard drive isn't fast either, but I read, that that can be replaced.
    Any comments on this? Maybe I should build my own PC or buy a laptop, could you give me some suggestions as well? My budget is about 600-700.
    Thanks.

I also recommend you consider what Software you intend to use? Some Video software is designed to work more efficiently with specific Graphics card capabilities (e.g. OpenGL or CUDA).
    Perhaps it may be worth considering getting a machine which can be added to later (e.g more RAM or more Disk Space); rather than one where any upgrade requires you replace an existing piece (e.g. changing the video card or CPU).
    I know nothing! But, the charts here http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ can help when considering the speed of particular CPUs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bricht View Post
    I was looking at a refurbished Mac Mini for 579. (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FD388B/A)
    It ahs some good reviews online and since Im not too experienced with computers an Apple product would probably give me less headaches. The Intel HD 4000 isnt too good though, which might be a problem for video editing. The hard drive isn't fast either, but I read, that that can be replaced.
    Whilst technically correct that the harddrive can be replaced, it is far from an easy job on a Mac mini. It is however easy to use an external drive as a boot drive.