Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Can not open damaged mp4 file that I have rendered

  1. #1

    Default Can not open damaged mp4 file that I have rendered

    I have a 7 GB mp4 file that I have been rendering in h264. When the rendering was almost finished my computer crashed so the rendering didn't "close" properly and now when I am trying to open the mp4 file it says that it is damaged and can not be opened.

  2. #2

    Default

    Depending on the encoding some (important) information is stored at the end of the file. If your encoding did not finish this information is missing. If you desperately need to watch the footage you can try VLC media player. It's the most robust player I know of.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Depending on the encoding some (important) information is stored at the end of the file. If your encoding did not finish this information is missing. If you desperately need to watch the footage you can try VLC media player. It's the most robust player I know of.
    I have tried to open the file with VLC but it doesn't work. I don't care if a few minutes of the end of the movie is gone, is there no way to close the end of the video properly now in retrospect?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,526
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    To clarify, are you saying that the source video file is damaged?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    To clarify, are you saying that the source video file is damaged?
    I have a .dem file which is a recorded file of me when I am playing Team Fortress 2. I rendered the .dem file to an .mp4 file but after a few hours of rendering my computer crashed and now I can't open the .mp4 file. And no, I can't render it again because it takes about 6 hours...

  6. #6

    Default

    That depends very much on file and container format. You would have to read up which information is exactly stored at the end of the file in your case. This is different for each video format.

  7. #7

    Default

    As Ray has already told you in his first post. Yes, you can't open the .mp4 file because it is corrupt because of the crash it did not finish it's job. This is why you can't open it. Yes, it takes 6 hrs to render, you make the choice, if you want it, render it, if not, don't.

    I think I put far too many commas in that sentence.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,526
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    In my experience, these things can be fixed. But it takes a long time to find the right tool for the job, and it may involve rebuilding the file. By the time you've done that, you could have encoded the files again.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    As Ray has already told you in his first post. Yes, you can't open the .mp4 file because it is corrupt because of the crash it did not finish it's job. This is why you can't open it. Yes, it takes 6 hrs to render, you make the choice, if you want it, render it, if not, don't.

    I think I put far too many commas in that sentence.
    So you're saying there's no way to close the file properly and just watch 90% of it, leaving the corrupted 10% in the end cut off?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    11,526
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    Just to add to this, in my experience, if renders crash your computer, there's a high risk that it will crash at the same point again. To avoid the pain, I would export to at least two files, for example the first 15 mins, and then the second 15 mins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. big file after rendered.
    By Arrox in forum Sony Vegas video editing apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 02:37 PM
  2. damaged file help please
    By UglyNoise17 in forum Adobe Premiere, Premiere Elements, and After Effects
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2007, 07:12 AM
  3. damaged .aep file
    By david walsh in forum Adobe Premiere, Premiere Elements, and After Effects
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-26-2007, 04:36 PM
  4. after effects -damaged file
    By innocent_bystander in forum Adobe Premiere, Premiere Elements, and After Effects
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2006, 07:30 PM
  5. damaged project file
    By diclonious2990 in forum Adobe Premiere, Premiere Elements, and After Effects
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-06-2005, 10:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •