Thread: Why does this cut not work?

Default Why does this cut not work?

I have a question on a certain cut that somehow won't work for me in my latest video. You are of cordially invited to watch the whole video but if you don't plan to go skiing in this area you will find it rather boring - maybe except of the outtakes in the end.

The video is a review of a near by ski resort. I mainly shows how I ski down the slopes in first person view. You already may think that this can become a bit boring. That is why I tried to insert a third person view shot at about 00:55. I didn't break the 180 rule but somehow it doesn't seem to fit the video. Do you have an idea why?

Blog Entries

There's nothing wrong with it per se. It's just that the previous 55 seconds is typical FPV footage - shaky and mostly sky. It's a bit jarring to jump to a fast moving skier filling the whole shot.

Personally, I would have left the first 55 seconds on the cutting room floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Personally, I would have left the first 55 seconds on the cutting room floor.
    I understand your motive. What I didn't explain is that my audience expects footage of the whole slope. The purpose is that somebody who doesn't know the resort can check whether he likes the slopes or not. Otherwise I would have cut down the video to a fraction of the current state. I am just trying is to make it a bit less dull.

What I get is that image quality , lens distortion, amount of sky and the close up may be a reason why the scene seems to be odd.
    Last edited by XXLRay; 03-21-2014 at 09:35 AM.

Blog Entries

And that's your problem. You've inserted a cut away for no real purpose, and no real connection, Just to break up the monotony. If it was used as a link, and you followed with a series of shots, it would work better. But as it stands the viewer is left a little off balance. And if you feel the clip needs livening up, imagine what the viewer thinks.

If I wanted to see the slopes, I can get that in a few seconds of the preceding FPV footage. It's a slope. There's some trees. Got it, let's skip to the other stuff. What's the facilities like? Are there big queues? Is there congestion further down? Are there any quirky parts?

You've inserted a cut away for no real purpose, and no real connection, Just to break up the monotony.
    I tried to create a visual connection by having the same gondola cables in the field of view. Maybe it would have been better to concentrate on something on the slope as it would be more in focus.

If it was used as a link, and you followed with a series of shots, it would work better.
    Actually my plan indeed was to use more footage. So you bring up a very valid point. Unfortunately I couldn't take the footage that day end and because of the forth warmest winter here ever the season ended before I could complete my stock.

And if you feel the clip needs livening up, imagine what the viewer thinks.
    Again very true but the target audience really searches for full runs. It's a small niche but that doesn't mean it's not worth to be served
    Maybe you don't believe it but on a similar video of a different resort from two years ago I have about 1,400 views and an above average retention rate. This is of course far from being viral but I am quite happy with it for this kind of videos.

If I wanted to see the slopes, I can get that in a few seconds of the preceding FPV footage. It's a slope. There's some trees. Got it, let's skip to the other stuff. What's the facilities like? Are there big queues? Is there congestion further down? Are there any quirky parts?
    If it was a different format I would totally agree. Anyway I make take you advice and experiment with at least cutting more of a run's end in my next video of this kind.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=XXLRay;207295Again very true but the target audience really searches for full runs.[/QUOTE]

Then perhaps you should give them what they want. Don't bother with any cut aways, lose the fluff at the start and concentrate on providing footage of the full run.

That may be true.

Might it be possible to replace the shot at 0:55 with a map which show how far along the run we have reached? That would break up the monotomy and also offer some useful detail for the viewer.

Nice idea.

10. Default

I think it would work if you let the third person shot last longer. Its a very quick cut from a different POV, thats why it was jarring to me