Thread: Tell a story

1. Default Tell a story

I'm going to be creating a highlight video for a football (American) team this fall. It will be shown at the end of season banquet. I'm always at a loss how to make a memorable and captivating video that tells the story of the season. It's certainly easier when the team wins a championship, but not every team is that fortunate. Any thoughts on how to create something that will be a hit? Any thoughts and experiences are certainly appreciated.

Blog Entries

Remember the words of Tacitus...

"Do not tell me all about the thousands or the hoards, tell me the story of one person."

I would suggest that you chose one person, maybe the newest, youngest member of the team and follow his "journey" (god how I hate that word) through the season.

Great (and deep lol) reply RR - Hopefully you still have time to concentrate on shots of the 'eager to please' guy, and he's still on the team at season's end. If you film other player's reactions to his endeavours too you can still use these even if he's out of the team.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

4. Default

Thanks guys, for the thoughts. Anything to help the creative process, is helpful.

Blog Entries

You might end up choosing the wrong person. Of course, if he's wrong enough you might get a great story - though possibly not ideal entertainment for end of season.If you have the time and inclination, choose two or three people to follow as insurance. I suspect this is how many of the lesser TV documentaries are made (anyone else admit to watching "Strippers" on UK Channel 4?) - no individual is interesting enough so they intertwine three people's story in each episode.
    Tim

Maybe take one who just started, one who will leave the team after this season and the quarterback. Preferably you would cover defense as well as offense with the newbie and the veteran. Did you already watch "Any given sunday" and "Remember the titans" as inspiration?

7. Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Maybe take one who just started, one who will leave the team after this season and the quarterback. Preferably you would cover defense as well as offense with the newbie and the veteran. Did you already watch "Any given sunday" and "Remember the titans" as inspiration?
    I've not seen Any Given Sunday. Maybe I'll have to give it a look.

Not Legal advice, -but-
    You should also interview those chosen, ask other Team members, etc, since you will be putting a lot of time/effort with a particular slant/focus. If they "drop-out" your film/story could develop a large hole.
    Also some agreement as to the filming/following should be attempted (involving Parent if under-age DYOR).....just to be sure...

Post #2 is sound advice...

Good Luck, + let us know how it works out . . .

With respect to choosing the players, you need to do what the big productions do - find out which of the players has the most interesting back story - maybe one guy had a sex change to join the team - maybe another guy is a single parent with six kids from three different mothers - the main thing is to be able to switch to the violin music when they tell their story - it will look bogus and forced to anybody with half a brain but joe lunch pail and eddy punch clock can't get enough of it so that's the winning formula