Thread: new to all of this

Default new to all of this

hello all. im trying to get into video editing so im brand new to all of this stuff. just wanted to try it as a hobby.

so i have adobe after effects and for my first try i wanted to create something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I6zE5g_S7I. here are a couple of a questions i have.

terms of difficulty is this on the easier or harder side?
    will i be able to do something like this ins AE?
    how to i go about finding soundtracks?
    and lastly how in the hell do i do that lighting effect with the headlights?????????????

thanks

It's not my genre, so I don't see why they made it - unless the car co paid them... If it's for Fun, then you have a Copyright issue since you are portraying a recognisable Brand/Product. Music Copyright can be a nightmare, too.
    I could find no story being told and that's the purpose of films - so I would suggest you learn the trade with simple films, maybe adding AE if the subject demands it. You'll need to learn about Focus, Exposure, Lighting, Movement, etc. then add audio, dialogue, music and . . . . so on.
    Join a Film-making club to get assistance, knowledge and suggestions - watching other folks' films can be a great way of learning.
    If you want to get into Editing as a career, it can be a pinch of Luck, but mostly it helps if you have studied/know the basics . . . only then should you progress to special effects. Thee is a saying: Less is more and to the above list you could add silence, pauses and basic filmic visuals like fog...

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    It's not my genre, so I don't see why they made it - unless the car co paid them... If it's for Fun, then you have a Copyright issue since you are portraying a recognisable Brand/Product. Music Copyright can be a nightmare, too.
    I could find no story being told and that's the purpose of films - so I would suggest you learn the trade with simple films, maybe adding AE if the subject demands it. You'll need to learn about Focus, Exposure, Lighting, Movement, etc. then add audio, dialogue, music and . . . . so on.
    Join a Film-making club to get assistance, knowledge and suggestions - watching other folks' films can be a great way of learning.
    If you want to get into Editing as a career, it can be a pinch of Luck, but mostly it helps if you have studied/know the basics . . . only then should you progress to special effects. Thee is a saying: Less is more and to the above list you could add silence, pauses and basic filmic visuals like fog...

Good luck.
    lol didnt get one answer. this is just a hobby its not going anywhere not on youtube or fb just something i want to do. its not for a career i already have one of those. just wanted some quick answers

Sorry friend, you posted a link to YouTube and said you wanted to do something similar....

Join a Local film-making club is probably my best advice.

Quote Originally Posted by jb0y3 View Post
    terms of difficulty is this on the easier or harder side?
    Intermediate to advanced.

will i be able to do something like this ins AE?
    Likely yes.

how to i go about finding soundtracks?
    If you need something royalty free search for incompetech, kstbeats, teknoaxe, ccmixter, freemusicarchive, ...

and lastly how in the hell do i do that lighting effect with the headlights?????????????
    Are you talking about the flash at 01:00? I guess it can be done with simple overlays.

The first thing I would do is a breakdown of the clip, examine each shot, take note of the shot size,type and duration. Don't worry about effects yet, then I would try and get some stock footage and see if you can cut it to match the duration of each shot, doesn't haft to be too close to whats in the clip, it will get you accustomed to using the NLE program, then you can muck around with adding effects.
    If thats too much then just try and duplicate one shot,in the end even if its not close at least you would have picked up some skills. Don't get disappointed with your first attempts that clip would have taken a great deal of work to film and then in post production.Cheers, Just how I would go about it.