Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: still working out the bmpcc

1. Default still working out the bmpcc

still working it all out

Nice footage guys.

I notice one of your cams is labelled GoPro Boom. When I tried putting a go pro on the end of a Mic Boom pole I couldn't get any movement without a lot of wobbly shots. How do you overcome this problem ?

I continue to be impressed with the OP's demos. Two thoughts:
    a) The bike (around 01:30 to 01:42) *appears* to be the generally less stable, but I expected the worst part to be the puddle and dip around 01:39, where it appeared to be extremely stable. Maybe its all a trick of the eye.
    b) I assume these flying craft can be dangerous to humans. Does that limit the options for including persons in shots, e.g. a shot coming down from the sky to the ground; then following a person walking along? The solution may be to use a longer lens. But perhaps that would only magnify any stabilisation errors.

4. Default

the gopro is fitted on a stabilisation system which is then attached to the end of the boom, I then have a video out from the gopro down to the monitor mounted on my chest. I also have pitch control with my transmitter
    Yes the on bike bit is not quite as stable but it was very bumpy.
    You can fly near people as long as you have permission and you feel it is safe to do so, the only thing that can really go wrong is that you have a malfunction which hasn't happened to me yet, its just a question of common sense really, also multi rotors aren't very good at descending smoothly as the rotors are spinning slower so there is less power to stabalise and you are coming down through your own turbulence.
    And yes I find 20mm is about as long as I would like to go with aerial stuff

Blog Entries

Those flights shots look like they'd require an experienced operator to accomplish. The more I looked into aerial filming, the more I think it isn't for me! Given the high number of average at best videos, it's clear that you need to be an accomplished pilot to get the wow shots (no surprise there). I definitely don't have the time, patience or skills to learn ( but I do like to watch a good video)

What does interest me are the boom or low level stabilised shots. Shame there isn't something comercually available as a small solution for small cameras. (There is a gopro kickstarter for one)

1st class filming guys! I've worked with a skilled copter (Raptor) pilot and sent the signals from onboard cam to ground, and achieved nothing like this quality - even in no wind, so these are very high quality. (nice titles too) You should find plenty of work if that's what you're aiming for.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

The opening shot would be even cooler if you started at eye level. It would be more of a surprise noticing it's actually a drone footage.

8. Default

thanks for the comments fellas, aerial filming is not for the feint hearted. Its taken me an awful lot of commitment, to give you an idea Its been the thick end of 2 years and several thousand quid to get where I am now although that was starting from zero in all respects including shooting video. Ive had to learn to design and build multi rotor power systems, program flight controllers, build frames, program Alexmos gimbal controllers, build camera gimbal frames, learn to fly, learn to use FCPX and motion 5, learn how to colour correct at a basic level, learn about how to operate a camera and the different codecs and bit rates, learn about exposure, frame rates, shutter speed, white balance etc, become a qualified UAV operator, produce an operations manual and get it passed by euro USC, get my aircraft registered with the CAA, learn how to build websites, try and get my company known by the people who will provide me with work and much much more.

I would suggest to anyone who was considering it to really make sure its something you want to do as it is a very steep, frustrating learning curve. It has certainly tested my patients at times, I have had a 500 plane with a gopro on it just clear off in to the distance when I was trying to learn about GPS controlled flight controllers, then the second one I crashed and wrecked another Gopro. I have crashed 4 quadcopters when I was learning to fly and you don't repair them after they crash, you pick up the pieces, go home and build another one! I have fried a 300 gopro black when I was learning about the FPV systems and I have learnt the hard way not to scrimp on electronics and propellers!
    If any of that lot doesn't scare you off then I would say go for it, its great fun and you will learn an awful lot
    I am now finally in a position where we can offer our services to anyone who wants to pay for it and have now begun the long process of marketing my company, I'm still not 100% sure if I will be able to make any kind of money at it but I have given myself another year before I decide whether its viable or not. So if you know anyone who needs it, do us a favour and send them to the website
    Last edited by bigglesuk; 03-18-2014 at 02:02 PM.

From the sample and your story, you're really earned the right. Most of the forum have been through their own ring of fire to learn their craft and . . . eventually, it pays off.
    If you can let us know where you're based, and rates (PM if you prefer) I'd be more than happy to recommend you!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    From the sample and your story, you're really earned the right. Most of the forum have been through their own ring of fire to learn their craft and . . . eventually, it pays off.
    If you can let us know where you're based, and rates (PM if you prefer) I'd be more than happy to recommend you!
    Thanks Zero, no need to PM I think our rates are amongst the most competitive in the UK for aerial filming, we charge from 370 a day including operators and we are in lincolnshire however we are prepared to go any where and at those rates it gives plenty of scope for travel costs. Our website is http://www.copter-cam.co.uk
    Last edited by bigglesuk; 03-18-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast