Thread: 1080p in 720p sequence. Seems so simple right, WRONG!

Default 1080p in 720p sequence. Seems so simple right, WRONG!

Hi guys

I'm having a lot of trouble with FCP 7 at the moment and can't find the answer anywhere online.

Let me explain
    I shot full HD 1920 x 1080 25fps footage on my Canon 6D. I knew I wanted to adjust the framing slightly in post so brought the footage into a 720p Apple Pro Res 422(LT) sequence.

Theoretically the 1080p footage is much larger and therefore I should be able to adjust the scaling without loosing quality. This is where I hit a snag. I drop the footage into my timeline. I get the usual message of 'Would you like to change the sequence settings to match the clip', I click 'no'. So I now I have 1080p footage scaled at 66.7% in my 720p timeline. When I then scale the footage back up to 100% to adjust my framing the footage becomes slightly blocky. WHY!!!!

Am I missing a step here?

When I do the exact same process in AE the theory works fine and the footage looks great.

Any ideas would really help

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ctbullet View Post
    When I then scale the footage back up to 100% to adjust my framing the footage becomes slightly blocky. WHY!!!!
    My workflow when working with larger resolutions in Premiere is to:

• Drop to the timeline
    • Maintain the original source resolution
    • Position or scale on the timeline
    • Where I don't need to position, just scale, I adjust one clip, then select the others to scale and past the properties

I'm assuming that Premiere applies the scaled resolution, and then zooms on the scaled resolution (which explains the blocky resolution). Whether this is just on the timeline preview or on export would be key - if the former, you could live with it, if the later, then you'll need to change your workflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    . Whether this is just on the timeline preview or on export would be key - if the former, you could live with it, if the later, then you'll need to change your workflow.
    I have exported off a clip and it was blocky. It's either a workflow issue; if it is I'm not sure where or what to change, or it's a limitation of final cut.

Considering the process works in AE fine, I'm not surprised that premiere handles it. Maybe I should finally install premiere and make the switch.
    Cal Thomson | Camera Operator | www.calthomson.com