Thread: Sony Vegas unmanaged exception (0xc0000005) error message solved

Wink Sony Vegas unmanaged exception (0xc0000005) error message solved

I've been working on a documentary for about 6 months. It's Over 3 hours long, has about 15 video tracks and half a dozen audio tracks I'd been working all weekend on doing some Foley work on it. Then, yesterday I opened up Vegas and tried to open my project. It crashed with a unmanaged exception (0xc0000005) error message. I tried it again same thing. I thought no worries I'll use my back up project file. Same thing. By this time I was beginning to get a bit worried.

I scratched my head and thought it could be the program so I uninstalled the program and re-loaded Vegas but when I tried to open the program I got the same error. Now I was really starting to bab my self. I can't begin to tell you the amount of work that has gone into this project so far.

Trying to stay calm and wondering if having a cigarette might help (I gave up ciggies at Christmas) I suddenly came up with the idea of changing the name of the media content folder and try opening the project. I got to 25% then said it can't fine a media file so I told it the location of the file it opened. Vegas asked if I wanted to open all the media in this location, I said yes.

Bish bash bosh the project opened fully, unharmed and ready for action.

I don't know if this will work for all unmanaged exception (0xc0000005) error message problems but if it helps some one then great.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Good bit of lateral thinking, Midnight (or was it sheer desperation?)
    Clearly a bug in the software - please report it to SCS (although you won't be able to submit any useful dioagnostics as it now works).
    Thanks for sharing.

Well done, but a quick look around , this errors points to all sorts of things, including QT

@Z I saw the Quicktime issue but that seems to be more related to the opening of the program it's self. I know it could also be Vegas detecting corrupt media or as you say all sorts of errors. I', just glad on this occasion that I found a solution.

@Tim I did sent Sony the error message with the added info so hopefully they can act upon it, if there is need to.

As I've already said I'm just happy I found a solution otherwise you would probably be saying things like "what a nice guy Midnight use to be" and "We'll miss him" and "Just what is it that drives a man to take his own life".

Backups are a good idea

An even better idea is to slap the whole thing together pell-mell in three hours so it doesn't matter if you lose it
    Last edited by zamiotana; 03-11-2014 at 11:50 PM.

Hmmm. I agree back ups are essential BUT even I can't edit a piece this long, that quickly.