Thread: The truth about Violent youth and video games.

Default The truth about Violent youth and video games.

A well-written and researched article (american based) on the media frenzy of game violence. Gamers have needed something like this for ages.

http://gr.bolt.com/articles/violence/violence.htm

Good article, sure, but Iím not convinced. Even with the best intentions, such ďanalysesĒ can still be misleading. This guy has compared homicide figures, not general violent behaviour. Big, big difference.

He states: Grand Theft Auto is a best-selling adult game that should not be played by 12 year-olds. Thatís why you have to be 17 years old to buy it. But we all know that young kids do play it, donít we?

So if thereís general agreement that young kids shouldnít be playing nasty-type games, itís hardly surprising that we should worry a bit when we know damn well they are playing them. So the debate continues, as far as I can see. Still no certainties either way.

Blog Entries

Have to admit that I haven't read the article, but it all boils down to social norms. Why, for example, chose the age 18? It is, after all, a completely arbitary age.

Take the "18" rating used here in the UK - what would once have been considered strictly 18 material may now fall into a "15" category. Put simply we're becoming desensitised to violence and sex, and kids mature a hell af a lot quicker (both physically and mentally).

And we have such a taboo of sex in this country that we've one of the highest teenage pregancy rates in the world. And that's a direct consequence of a cultural inability to discuss sex with children, not because there's too much sex in films or on TV.

I'd be less worried about the content of games and more worried about the negative health effects of video games. Play ANY game for a prelonged period and you develop unsociable habits - I know that after a long session I can become aggressive and agitated (and that's playing football and racing games).

I love the link between violence in games and violence in the real world. Do I, for instance, think I can pick up a football and play like Beckham in the real world because I just scored a wonder goal in Winning Eleven. Do I get in my car and drive like an F1 driver because I've just played Project Gotham. No I don't.

I used to take Judo lessons as a kid. Did I use my "moves" on all the other kids in the playground? Again, no.

Will there always be some kid that's influenced by something in their life? Yes. But let's not spoil that for the rest of society, eh?

Every now and again you'll get some halfwit that'll try to tombstone their friend, or someone who'll set themselves on fire jackass-style, or shoot their friends with a gun they didn't think was loaded.

You've gotta ask yourself what the parents were thinking when little johnny was going a walk down the woods with the jerry can, or the gun... They didn't know? Then why the HELL was the gun accessible to the kid?

In this instance, it's sex. Now, kids are growing up so quick these days. Some can handle it, some can't. I hate saying things like this, because it makes me feel like an old man. I'm 24 ffs. But yeah, some kids are losing their virginity REALLY early and i know kids of 16 and 17 who've had more sexual partners than me. I'm no lothario, but i've had a pretty big head start.

Single adults tend to have multiple sexual partners. Not concurrently, always, but over a period of time. Your parents split up when you're 10, and by the time you're 15 you've had knowledge of your mum having a half-dozen relationships and your dad's had a few as well, telling you it's ok to have multiple sexual partners. Your parents lead by example.

I'm not saying it's wrong to HAVE multiple sexual partners, but it's definitely wrong for these kids' parents to not shield them from this kinda behaviour. I have NEVER seen my dad drinking. I ain't see the guy since i was 14, but up until the, afaik he never drank. He did, but never in front of me. He was always discrete about it. Apparently he liked a smoke as well, but again i never saw it. I've seen my mum pished a fair few times in the last few years, and so has my wee brother, and i'm not daft enough to think that that hasn't made him the heavy drinker he is today. He likes a bevy. I do on occasion, and maybe it's just the geek in me, but i'd rather buy shiny electrical things instead of get drunk.

Back to the main topic though, some people are a bit simple. There's nothing in the GTA games that's worse than anything in a film. When parents start treating games as being an entertainment format for everyone, not just kids, and pay attention to what their kids are playing, then less kids will do stupid things.

The bottom line (not the tombstone) is that stupid parents generally spawn stupid kids, politicians care more about campaigning against something, ANYTHING, than the actual causes, and retailers are moneygrabbing shits who'll sell to anyone.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Blog Entries

When I was a kid (from the age of abouut 12) I saw both my parents and their friends drinking, stayed up till 2am, gambled and generally did whatever I wanted to do. You see my parents and their friends all owned "holiday homes" on the Kent coast (Littlestone near New Romney to be precise).

Does that make my parents "bad parents"? I would say not. Because there were little or no taboos in my family, I never really felt the need to rebel. I also learned some important lessons: alcohol makes you act like a fool, gambling is a mugs game (unless you spend hours watching holiday makers play, then win all their money or tell them what to do for a cut); and I also had great fun!

I didn't lose my virginity until the age of 18, didn't get drunk till the age of 16 and didn't go into a betting shop until a few years ago and even then it was for someone else. I rarely drink these days, I've never been addicted to cigarettes and I've never had casual sex.

As soon as you tell a kid (s)he can, they don't want to anymore. Sure I was disciplined as a kid, but I think there;s a lot to be said for a relaxed parenting style.

Obviously i can only speak from experience of myself and my brother, but we're *very* different people.

From what i've seen though, smokers beget smokers, drinkers beget drinkers, etc. I'm not one of these anti-alcohol or anti-smoking arseholes, but i'm definitely of the opinion that it's a bit pointless, and generally not for me. I guess another point is that i don't want another weakness. I have enough already without craving nicotine or whatever. Does that make sense? I'm half asleep and rambling.

I've got to admit that i did drink while underage. Doesn't everyone? I was, and am, pretty sensible about it. I've neve smoked (cigs...) and i didn't get my nat king until i was 17 so i guess by today's standards you and i were pretty slow in that respect.

Having said that, is it maybe just that the kids who talk about it a lot are the ones who lost it young? I guess if you're still a virgin, it's a touchy (if you'll excuse the pun) subject. And you wouldn't have much to talk about.

I'm sure there are perfectly sensible kids losing their virginities when they're ready, and that time happens to be before their 16th birthday. Most of the underagers, though, are the drinking cider/buckfast in the park mob. Little ned slappers and pretty creepy older guys who buy them the drink and take advantage of them while they're drunk. Definitely not sensible people, and prime candidates for being a gran before their 30th birthday.

Either way though, we (as a society) have bigger and more important problems than a few drunk 15 year-olds, a pregnant 16-year old, and some spotty little boys playing San Andreas. Not saying we should ignore these things, but the media needs some perspective.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables