Thread: 11 minute video - export time 60 hours?!

Default 11 minute video - export time 60 hours?!

Hi, I'm new around here, and I have a huge problem.

I have a video, filmed with an HD camera, 1920x1080, with a lot of cuts, and with another video track on top of it of a flash animation (exported as AVI) with a color key, blending in with the HD footage. The flash thing is only for a few seconds at the beginning and again a few seconds at the end of the video, the rest is normal footage, and everything adds up to 11 minutes. It's made for YouTube (I believe that has to be taken under consideration when talking about codecs and other stuff - which I really don't know anything about)..

I've been exporting it for a while (with Premiere Pro CS6), for about 3-4 hours now, and the estimated time left keeps going up - 60 hours right now, and it's only at 4% of the exporting process... This is a nightmare! Please help, how can I export it faster? What am I doing wrong?

I have a Lenovo laptop (about 3 years old), and the specifications are: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M370 @ 2.40 GHz and 3 GB RAM (2.74 usable) ...I'm not 100% sure what all of that means, but I can asume that it's bad and not suitable for big video projects (which hasn't crossed my mind, since I've been exporting other smaller videos quite fast).

Oh and I also read that it's good to export it on an external drive, so I should probably mention, it's exporting on an external HDD (that's pretty new, I bought it a few months ago).

I'm exporting as H.264, HD 720p 23,976 fps

That's pretty much everything that might come in useful to get the picture.. Please help. And sorry if I'm being a newbie, I know this can be cringe-worthy sometimes. Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

How much of the area above the timeline is red? This will tell you whether you have matched the sequence settings correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by tezebe View Post

Oh and I also read that it's good to export it on an external drive, so I should probably mention, it's exporting on an external HDD (that's pretty new, I bought it a few months ago).
    This could be part of the problem. What type of device and what is the connection type. It's good to export to a different drive from the source, but not if this is a slow drive connected via USB2.

Quote Originally Posted by tezebe View Post

I'm exporting as H.264, HD 720p 23,976 fps
    !
    Is that the same as the source?

3. Default

Wow. I have (I think) the same problem. Adobe Premiere CC, tried to export 16 minutes of cut down action cam footage to a h264 in 1280x720. The raw files were only 3.5 gigs before being chopped down to 16 minutes. It exported all night, and when it finally finished, it had given me 4 files at over 22 gigs each! .aac .m4v .mp4 and some s3h4. "dot nothing" file.

None of them will play on VLC.

Clearly we are doing something wrong.

Blog Entries

What happens if you export a small portion of the timeline?

5. Default

I made a 19 second vid. It came out 600mb (ridiculously large) and it is extremely choppy. And whats worse, of those 4 22 gig monstrosities that came from my first attempt, the one with no file extension won't delete and is hogging up valuable SSD space.

I'm going to try some different settings. And enable Write caching on this samsung 840 pro. But how do I remove that 22 gig file.
    Last edited by some_guy123; 03-11-2014 at 10:08 PM.

Firstly, Premiere Pro is unbelievably slow at exporting at the best of times if it can't use render files and has to go back to the original media. This is one of the problems of using native media for editing. I've had exports from Premiere Pro take several hours for the same thing that another NLE exports in less than 20 mins from the same files.

Next, it seems like you're doing lots of compositing with overlay videos, that's going to slow things a lot as it combines them to make new 1920x1080 videos before it even gets to the export stage. Premiere Pro is calculating the expected export time based on how hard it's having to work in these first few seconds of the timeline. Exporting should be much faster once you get passed the compositing section, right up until you hit it again at the end.

Then, you're resizing from 1080 to 720, that takes quite a lot of CPU time on it's own. Exporting to 1080p may actually be faster.

And then you're exporting to H264, which again is fairly CPU intensive. Are you doing one or two pass here?

You mention you are exporting to 23.976, is your sequence 23.976 also, or is Premiere Pro having to interpolate the frames on export?

All this is on top of only 3GB of ram which is barely enough to make minimum specs.