Thread: Harrow on the Hill

Default Harrow on the Hill

Your views and comments would be appreciated!

Why black & white ? except of one colour image in the middle and one at the end. The large amounts of text were too quick for me to read.

I think the images were nice but became a bit samey after a couple of minutes. Above all this piece could really do with a voice over, I think it would bring it to life.

As it stands now it seems to be searching for a reason to exist.

A voice over???

I didn't get it

if you want to do slo-mo, current practice is to film at the speed you are going to slow it down to (if you are going to slow it down to one quarter, then capture it at 120fps)

the music was atrocious - I had to turn the sound off after ten seconds

If you want to zoom in and out on static elements, then in 2014 you'll need to get yourself a drone and fly it around the location - just drop the 500q and thank me later

Blog Entries

I rather liked the highish contrast Black and White. I also liked the colour image in the middle emphasizing the red of the post box. I wasn't so sure about the splash of colour at the end.
    As Zam says the slo-mo wasn't very smooth - I liked the idea but not the execution. Of course being able to shoot at higher frame rates rather depends on whether your camera has that capability, but some software is better than others at producing a reasonable slow down.
    I agree with Midnight about the text and the repetitiveness. We are looking at shots of places in Harrow and we are reading about places in Harrow. The text and the images battle for our attention and I, for one, gave up concentrating on either after a short while. This is where the voiceover would be better. We can give our full visual attention to the images whilst taking in information about them aurally.
    Tim

I'll have to tell my uncle to stop posting from my account

replacing the text with a voice over would be a good idea

One thing that would work nicely is to have people fade in and out of the scene rather than walking on and off - especially if you are using slow motion

Certainly clear images and B&W is often given praise.... but why no VO so I'm left guessing what I'm watching - and why the SloMo? Technically I suppose it's a decent historic record( if that's what a Community wants, as I think you are offering this FOC, perhaps in the expectation you'll get pro-work to follow. . . . but I was surprised there were so few people in the town . . . . and I still don't really get the reason for B&W - it's not as though this is silver technology and B&W is possibly better for archive purposes.
    The Text isn't held for long enough . . . not easy to judge when you know each word, but you should test-read it out loud and then add 10-20% for the slow reader. Of course getting a good VO is a subject in itself and can really lift a vid (or not!).

+ I Agree, 'Copter-shots would establish the lie of the land, although most of us will only afford GoPro's their quality can be surprisingly good - and there is really no other Budget way of showing an aerial view. (wish I had one!).

Blog Entries

I have no problems with the melancholy music, slow mo (albeit too slow for your recorded fps), black and white or the text. However :

The framing, shot selection and random zooming was "technically challenged". The main problem was that unless you've got a very good reason, landscapes scream out decently composed wide shots. There were too many shots with a moderate zoom that neither showed sufficient detail of a feature or captured a scene.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    There were too many shots with a moderate zoom that neither showed sufficient detail of a feature or captured a scene.
    Thanks Marc. So obvious! I'll bear it in mind if I ever film landscapes (though with little or no natural movement, I tend to avoid them)
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Thanks Marc. So obvious! I'll bear it in mind if I ever film landscapes (though with little or no natural movement, I tend to avoid them)
    thats where the "flying birds for CGI scenes" come in handy