Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Video with a message

Default Music Video with a message

http://youtu.be/tuAiXA_z_bI

I would appreciate any feedback on this video. Its a music video for my band. We didnt have much of our own footage to use. But we want to get the word out about all the inequality going on in the world. Please let me know what you think and how I can improve my editing. I used Vegas 10 to edit.

I think the editing has missed opportunities.
    Unless the OP had explained the message, I might have easily construed something wholly different.
    I saw many scenes, but they only come from a very narrow range of the world's 'injustice' based violent episodes. And the age of the episodes does little to illuminate areas of historical injustice.
    The 'message' appears to relate only to violent protest. Odd not to see any clip of Gandhi (or maybe I missed it).
    Whilst I recognise that the message fits the clip; how I might wish for the message to provide more than a shallow reflection of what everyone already knows.
    I liked the music, but sub-titles might be helpful.

I think Tim has raise a good point. The images don't really communicate the message in the way you intended. They seem rather randomly inserted and as such fail to get your message across.

I also liked the song and applauded your efforts to bring to peoples attention the subject but I feel you didn’t quite hit the mark.

Even in an unlikely setting you can sometimes find a singer with perfect pitch - that helps a lot

i found the video to be an assault on my senses, but maybe that was the intent

the music and band were fine

I thought the clips you chose were appropriate

Thanks for all the input. Does anyone have any comments on the editing technique or style? I get that the message was a little vague but really want to learn more about editing right now than sending a message.

I would have liked to see a rising tension in the visuals e.g. marching troops in the beginning than increasing escalation and all that flame throwing later. You already started quite nice but you chose some clips that took down the pace where it should have been kept high.

A thoughtful calm ending shot would have been a nice variant.

I get that the message was a little vague but really want to learn more about editing right now than sending a message.
    This view is 180 degrees the wrong way round. The message is the most important part or any piece and needs to be the focus of any editing decision. This is a very important editing lesson to learn. The rest is mostly about technique and taste.

Blog Entries

Agree with midnight 100%. Editing IS about sending a message, telling a story.
    Tim

I sense there are several problems with the 'editing'.
    The clips seem to appear in a random order. In some cases the scenes from the same incident appears more than once. Perhaps the OP needs to collect more clips.

Many of the clips appear simply to have been slotted into the video without much thought about their order. The order might more usefully have reference to the direction of the views (i.e. what direction are people looking or moving), the date (e.g. why do we get the old clip at 03:04?), and their colouring; or the type of action in the clip.
    The clip with the naked breasts appears utterly pointless.

The collection suggests there are only 3 forms of injustice:
    a) people marching where they have been asked not to.
    b) people fighting against their own country's defence officers.
    c) people destroying and burning property which does not belong to them.

Blog Entries

Ahhh, Tim, dressed up as commenting on the editing (althought those comments are true) you are really commenting on the content.
    My thought when I first watched it was that most of the clips were not of injustice - rather they were of people demonstrating against injustice: often illegally (maybe no option) and often violently (again maybe no option).

{EDIT} Although TimA might point out (and I'd tend to agree) they do have an option - not protesting in that manner.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast