Thread: Sony Vegas Pro - Missing marker

Default Sony Vegas Pro - Missing marker

Hi guys i need help on sony vegas pro 12

I'm trying to show my son how to edit a basic gaming video in SV but we are confused on where the marker has gone when we cut a section out of the main video. the marker usually shows when we have increased the speed to 4 of the section of video.

Is there a way of getting this back, it makes life so much easier when it shows.

xXFastFingersXx

Blog Entries

Hi FF and welcome to the forum.
    Could you please explain in more detail exacty what you have done and what you want to achieve
    For example "we cut a section out of the main video", not just exactly what you mean by this but how you did it and how/at wat stage did you insert the marker in the first place?

I've never known a market to appear/disappear depending on the speed you play at.

Here are some clues which may help.

If you add the marker to the timeline, the marker is linked to that position in the timeline NOT to any event.

If you do a ripple edit on the timeline and have ripple all selected then markers will move. Otherwise they will not.

If you add a marker to an event in the trimmer it stays with the event. You need to "Save markers/regions" in the trimmer before adding it to the timeline if you want the marker to appear within the event on the timeline. (I wasn't aware of this so thanks for making me look it up!)

For more info in the VP help search timmer and go to the trimmer window page and scroll down to Using Markers and Regions in the Trimmer.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 03-08-2014 at 03:13 PM.
    Tim

Or maybe you mean the arrow above the timeline by the "marker"? If so, pls read "Post-Edit Ripple" in online Help (F1).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    Or maybe you mean the arrow above the timeline by the "marker"? If so, pls read "Post-Edit Ripple" in online Help (F1).
    LOL. I suspect you might be right and I just wasted 5 mins. (Well, not a total waste as I learnt something)
    Tim

Hi guys,

Sorry Im totally new to video editing and ive been watching reading alsorts to get this to work.

Ok so Ive made a template that me and my son use a basis, i.e its got intro, graphics and music already in place. I made this so i can just drop the video file in place then edit that, just to save time.

So ive dropped the video into the event window, and now i see it as a full clip, no cuts or crops. I right click on it and go to properties. I make sure smart resample is checked as it used to work only in this mode. Then i find a a place or a section of the video I want to make 3 or 4x speed. cut it so now I have 3 video event. the middle one is the one I want to speed up. so now I right click the middle video clip and go to properties, then change the play back rate to 4.000. now SV pro used to show a little green marker at the top of that clip im edditing at exactly the right place i need to drag the right hand side of the clip back to. But as its not showing at the minute i have to drag it back roughly and then zoom right into the clip and manually move the right hand side of the clip which takes ages when i have lots of speeded up sections.

I hope ive explained it clearer, and sorry if im using the wrong terms. I am a total newbie.

xXFastFingersXx

Blog Entries

I don't know how you got a little green triangle. If I recreate what you are doing on the Timeline (this is the bit along the bottom - is this what you mean by event window? I assume so as you cannot split an event in the trimmer window) then when I speed up the middle section, I do get the little triangle at the top, but this marks the end of the whole clip - the point where it is being repeated if "loop" is left on.

But never mind that Here's an easy way to do what you want.

Proceed as previously so you have three events on the timeline A, B (the bit you want to speed up) and C,

Hover the cursor over the end of event B until it turns into the "trim" icon.
    Now hold down the Ctrl key - a wiggly line should appear under the trim cursor.
    Click and drag to the left as far as it will go.

Voila: you have now sped up B by a factor of 4.

Now simply drag event C up to it. Perfect match (making sure snapping is on makes life easier)

And did you know you can speed up by 12 in Vegas Pro 12. In addition to what we've done above we can add a velocity envelope to the event.
    Right click on the event,
    Select Insert/Remove Envelope > Velocity
    A green (on my PC) line appears - drag it up to increase the speed, drag it down to decrease the speed.
    As you can see you can drag it up too 300% (3 x the speed)
    You can drag it down to 0% (Stop!)
    And you can drag it down further to -100% (play in reverse)!

What's more, it's an envelope, which means you can add "points" which set different speeds (or percentages) at different times during playback so yu can ramp up the speed rather than jump to the new speed.

Fill yer boots as they say.
    Tim

THAT AWESOME!!!!!!

Brilliant.

Thank you soo much,

so the enverlope tool is good for ramping in and out of different speeds, this make it look more smoother in the videos. that awesome.

Thanks again guys for the help.

FF

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xXFastFingersXx View Post
    THAT AWESOME!!!!!!
    It is, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by xXFastFingersXx View Post
    Thanks again guys for the help.
    You're welcome
    Tim