Thread: How to have "cinematic" result from my project?

Default How to have "cinematic" result from my project?

Hello to everybody,
    I am using Edius 7 for my videos and Sony NX5 and a dslr also Canon 70D. Usually i record at 1920x1080 at 25 fps.
    I was wondering how can i get this "cinematic" result i see on some films (as my attachment), it has to do with my project settings or with my cameras settings?
    Thank you in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

I'm not sure what you're after, what you mean by cinematic in this example.
    Do you mean the aspect ratio? (ie the wide screen look)
    Do you mean the colouring?
    Do you mean the hideously blurred image?

If you're after a general "how to get a cinematic look" there are hundreds of thousands of tutorials. Many have one or two pointers. Many are rubbish. There is no quick fix.
    Tim

Many thanks for your answer, you"re right i was not very clear. I am not meaning colouring or hideously blurred or anything like that.
    I mean the aspect ratio, the wide screen look , this one which "gives" black borders at the top and the bottom of the screen.
    Thanks

To get a letterbox look in your video. Do your normal filming in 1080p but frame your shots taking into account that you will be taking a bit off the top and a bit off the bottom. Put the footage into Edius with the normal 1080p template. Now use the cropping tool to chop the image as you want it. DO NOT SQUASH THE IMAGE to do this you have to crop it keeping the 16:9 aspect ratio.

I can't tell you haow to use the cropping tool as I don't use Edius but the above gives you the basic out line.

Blog Entries

I'm not familiar with Edius, but there are (I believe) two ways:

You should be aiming for 1:1.85 or 1:1.22 aspect ratio as I believe these are the common ratios.

1: Simply put black bars at top and bottom over the top of the image, but still export your film in normal 16:9 (1:1.77) format so that it will play correctly on DVD/BluRay/Vimeo etc.
    somethin
    2: If Edius allows it, change the properties of your output file so it cuts out the top and bottom. How that will play on "standard" players I wouldn't like to guess.

EDIT: Cross posted with MB
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    To get a letterbox look in your video. Do your normal filming in 1080p but frame your shots taking into account that you will be taking a bit off the top and a bit off the bottom. Put the footage into Edius with the normal 1080p template. Now use the cropping tool to chop the image as you want it. DO NOT SQUASH THE IMAGE to do this you have to crop it keeping the 16:9 aspect ratio.

I can't tell you haow to use the cropping tool as I don't use Edius but the above gives you the basic out line.
    I thought that this can be with a different way and not by croping. Are you sure this is the only way to do that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vlasis View Post
    I thought that this can be with a different way and not by croping. Are you sure this is the only way to do that?
    How else? You can't "invent" additional bits to the right and left of the image and if you stretch it left and right everyone will become fat!
    Tim

ok i found it.! Before making the elementary export at the advance settings and where is writing "aspect ratio' we leave it at current setting but at after that has an option "letterbox/side panel and an arrow. We heat the arrow and from the options there we choose "side cut/crop top and bottom"
    Thank you all very much.