Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick question that is driving me crazy!

1. Default Quick question that is driving me crazy!

Why if I take a VHS tape and convert it to digital (from the player to the PC) does it convert the video in real time (1 hour takes an hour), but if I try to convert video that is already on the PC to another format, 1 hour may take 20 hours? Now, I get the general idea of compression and formatting and all... However, if I went straight from the VCR tape to say H.264, it would render in REAL time. But, if I go from .VOB to H.264, it takes forever. Like the vcr to dvd recorder I have converts the video in real time, but my PC takes the already digital video and records it to another format and it takes forever? Am I doing something wrong here? I just want to take it out of the DVD format and into something more PC friendly. I am not trying to change the quality. Why can't it do it from DVD to H.264 in the same time it can go from VHS to H.264? Thank you for anybody who knows the answer.

Did you use VHS grabber hardware or low compression?

I wouldn't say you are doing anything wrong.
    You have to understand that when you are taking data from a tape like a VHS tape you are capturing it not rendering it. ie whatever data is on the tape is being written directly to the PC it's just been written in the format you selected, this can only be done in real time as the reading of the tape can only be done in real time. OK there are some really fancy machines that can read a tape faster than real time but let's deal with what the usual is in this case.
    When you are changing from one formate to another especially if you have edited/colour corrected etc. you are reading one version then adding the changes you have made, the PC then has to write the data in a new formate, it's a bit like translating into a different language when you're not very fluent, especially if you are increasing the resolution from SD to HD. These all add to the rendering time.
    I'm working on a 3hr piece which takes about 12 hrs to render, this is because I'm using all sorts of mixed original footage SD HD stills motion graphics etc... colour corrected, re-sized and so on.
    Hope this answers your question

If you are reading from and writing to the same disk then you need to:
    A) add another disk and write to that one instead
    B) ask someone to stand behind you and give a sharp upward yank on your underpants
    C) thank me later

5. Default

Thanks all. I am not looking to altering any of the footage, I just want to get it out of the .VOB format into like a H.264. I don;t need it to play on a dvd player. I just know that if I did it straight from vhs to H.264, it would do it in real time, but if I go from .VOB to H.264, it takes forever. Is there a way to simply change the file type (as if i was just going from VHS straight to H.264) and have it encode at least in real time? I mean, it seems as if you can go straight from VHS to H.264, you should be able to go from DVD to H.264 in real time? No?

Again my question how you plugged the video player into your PC? Which compression rate did you choose? Lower compression i.e. higher bit rate works faster.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Again my question how you plugged the video player into your PC? Which compression rate did you choose? Lower compression i.e. higher bit rate works faster.
    Sorry, I though I had covered that. What I did was use a vcr to dvd recorder (combo unit you get at the store) to get the vhs to digital. So the video is in the dvd format now. However, I don't even own a dvd player, so I want the format to be in H264 so I can put it on my PC easier. So I am taking the dvd disk that I have from the recorder and putting it into the dvd drive of the PC. Now I understand that changing a format could take some time, but then I thought "The vcr/dvd encoded the HVS video in real time, why can't my PC encode the dvd in real time?". Is there something I can do that will just encode the .VOB into h.264 in real time? Like something that does not change anything other than just encode it into a new format? I just can't figure out why if I hooked a VHS up to me PC, it could encode in real time, but not if I hook a dvd player up to it? Seems the second one would even be easier? What I did was just use "Adobe Media Encoder" to change the format. Would a better approach to be to use some sort of ripping program (like one you would use to capture video from a VHS to you PC) and then just have it rip from the dvd disk?

Note: A am clearly not trying to do any fancy editing here. I am just taking old VHS video and converting it to digital for property. I just want it in H.264, rather than .VOB.

Perhaps the DVD file is stored using MPEG2. A playable clip may be possible by simply renaming the VOB (e.g. as ".mpg")
    Whatever the result, I recommend the application "MediaInfo", which may help in identifying more about your files.
    Last edited by TimAndrews; 03-05-2014 at 07:00 PM. Reason: typo

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Perhaps the DVD file is stored using MPEG2. A playable clip may be possible by simply renaming the VOB (e.g. as ".mpg")
    Whatever the result, I recommend the application "MediaInfo", which may help in identifying more about your files.
    I can get them to play just fine on the PC, but that DVD format is just so outdated that the files are HUGE! I would just like them in a more PC friendly format that take up less space. I wish it had just put it into H.264 in the first place.

10. Default

I got a dvd ripper that will rip into H.264, that's doing it as about 5 hours of time for 1 hour of video. That's quite a bit faster than simply converting the video, but not 1 to 1, I am guessing maybe because H.264 is harder to do? I am guessing also that if I went from the dvd to mpeg2 (I think that's the same format is a dvd right?) Maybe then i would get 1 to 1 or even faster?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast