Thread: flying birds for CGI scenes

Default flying birds for CGI scenes

Just for fun?
    In CGI scenes which merely show huge distances of CGI scenery, landscape or buildings etc, the problem is that nothing moves. To add to the 'realism', it is common to include some flying birds in the distance. And now, when I see a breathtaking CGI landscape scene, I instinctively look for the birds.
    My attempts to animate flying birds have been as breathtakingly bad as my attempts to move human figures.

I thought! How about simply processing some 'real' footage of birds. And after wading through lots of youtube clips, I have not found one which contains clear and easily keyed out edges, remain in Frame for more than a few seconds, and have a variety of actions like taking off, flying or gliding.

I am almost resigned to the unlikely nature that such a clip exists. So, I guess it's back to my animated bird; which, at the moment moves like a brick.

Isn't it an option to take the footage yourself?

It's funny isn't it, you would have thought there would be lots of footage with birds flying etc. especially with the sky burnt out to make it easier for keying. Having said that when ever I've filmed birds I've always tried to put them in context with something. So looking for something that isn't specifically bird related might be better. I remember enc did a nice piece with some birds in it a few years ago but I'm not sure if there is anything suitable on it.

Happy hunting.

Oops! I was searching for the wrong thing:( When I tried "flying birds green screen", there are lots of suitable clips.
    I had considering DIY, but I only have a 50 Flip camera, which gives unsatisfactory quality images for high contrast, small, fast moving objects.
    Many thanks for prompting me to look again.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Just for fun?
    In CGI scenes which merely show huge distances of CGI scenery, landscape or buildings etc, the problem is that nothing moves. To add to the 'realism', it is common to include some flying birds in the distance. And now, when I see a breathtaking CGI landscape scene, I instinctively look for the birds.

So, I guess it's back to my animated bird; which, at the moment moves like a brick.
    I suppose falling bricks also kind of add to the realism