Thread: 3 CCDs & 1:6, 1:4.5

Default 3 CCDs & 1:6, 1:4.5

Hi experts,

I'd like to know more about video with 1, 2 and 3 CCDs...and the ratio stuffs like (1:6, 1:4.5, etc.). Appreciate your comments.

Thanks!

Erm, I dunno whether I class as an expert but i'll give it a shot (PS. To the real experts - If i get anything wrong, please correct me )

Firstly, CCDs are the sensors in your camcorder which detect when light hits them (basically like film) but they send the information about the picture formed on them digitally to a tape. White light is made up of three primary colours: red, green and blue. These colours are mixed in different amounts to form all the colours you see around you. In a single CCD camera, all the light forms a single picture on the CCD and it has to detect all three primary colours on each pixel. In a 3 CCD camera, the primary colours are filtered off so that one CCD gets all the red light, one gets all the blue light, and the last one gets all the green light. Therefore three pictures are formed, all similar, but each one is in a different colour. These three pictures are then merged by a special processor in the camera. 3 CCD cameras tend to give sharper, truer colours because they can detect more subtle lighting.

There are two main ratios used in movies: 4:3 and 16:9. 4:3 is the ratio of the traditional TV and is what basically all commercial cameras use. It can be cropped to make it look like 16:9 footage, but this usually results in bad quality footage. 16:9 ratio is much more recent and is usually called 'widescreen'. Filming in 16:9 requires a special, wider CCD and a wide lens. Many commercial cameras offer 16:9 features, but they are usually just cropping the footage. Some companies are now releasing 'true' widescreen cameras with a 16:9 CCD.

Hope this helps.
    http://www.studioxpro.com

:.: StudioX Productions :.:
    Dedicated to low-budget film-making

You're amazing! Thankyou so much!!

Quote Originally Posted by JXS
    You're amazing!
    Why thankyou, i've never been called that before!!!
    http://www.studioxpro.com

:.: StudioX Productions :.:
    Dedicated to low-budget film-making