Thread: Competition Trailer

Default Competition Trailer

Some time ago I asked how to fake a trailer voice. Now I created one as finger exercise. The footage is not perfect but do you find the trailer catchy in general?

I think I get what you are aiming at but I find it lacks something. I think for it to be ironic, it needs to be much more over the top with more flashes and bangs etc. other wise it just comes across as unsuitable for the subject.

Other than that it was well put together.

Blog Entries

If this is for real, then it does what it says on the tin.
    If it's a spoof, it's not over the top enough.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I watched without sound first and thought it looked great - good job. I watched for the second time with sound and switched off very quickly. I guess the voice over didn't work for me, or rather it subtracted from the visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    It's for a real bow building competition

I think it's alright. The sound effect at :04 was a bit too loud in my opinion and I would have worded the part about 1/2 the people failing as "many will come, most will fail" or something darker and spoken it in a more sinister voice.
    Other than that I found it interesting. Any chance you could cut the actual competition into say a 10-15 minute clip?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSteve View Post
    "many will come, most will fail"
    Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Sorry but I could not translate this. "Does ... on the tin" means something like "hits the nail on its head"?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I watched without sound first and thought it looked great - good job. I watched for the second time with sound and switched off very quickly. I guess the voice over didn't work for me, or rather it subtracted from the visuals.
    At least I was judging myself correctly when I assumed my job on the visuals was better
    I was considering to use background music. Would that helped to make it more appealing for you. Furthermore I planned to add a violin that pitched to the end but I could not get the effect editing without sounding cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSteve View Post
    Any chance you could cut the actual competition into say a 10-15 minute clip?
    A problem could be that it's not a physical gathering. Each participate work for himself in his workshop and documents his build with photos. As I am quite the only one who takes video footage of the building process (very time consuming during an already tight schedule for the build) it will be hard to get footage an license agreements of the others. Thus such a video would look quite much as the one I made from the previous competition:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    Sorry but I could not translate this. "Does ... on the tin" means something like "hits the nail on its head"?
    Sorry, it's from an advertising campaign for Ronseal Wood Varnisgh (and other preparations). "It does what it says on the tin" meaning it does what it sets out to do and claims to do on the packaging. The mark of a good advertising slogan is it getting adopted as an idiom into the country's language as this has. So, effectively you are right. I meant it does exactly what it set out to do. It was indeed a compliment
    Tim

Yay! Thanks for enriching my vocabulary (and the compliment).