Thread: Ugly brown bands on Sony NEXVG20 high shutter speeds

Default Ugly brown bands on Sony NEXVG20 high shutter speeds

Hi there, I have had a problem with my Sony NEX-VG20 since day one but I dont know if its just me being stupid or not...

Everytime I put my camera in a high frame rate, like above 120fps.. I get this weird brown bands that travel up and down my screen. At first I thought it was a problem with the display, but it actually prints onto the recording as well. See the video below, first I knock it into low fps, then I put it up and up, and the higher it goes, the uglier it gets. Is this just because I shouldnt be shooting in higher than 120fps on my camera, or is my camera faulty?

It looks like the issue you are getting is caused by filming at the wrong shutter speed ie not in phase with the 50 Hz electricity you have in Wolverhampton. The electricity works at a frequency 50Hz which means you have to film at a shutter speed of 50th of a second or 100th or 25th or some multiple of 50. If that makes any sense.

If this was shot in natural light then I have no idea what is going on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalImages View Post
    Hi there, I have had a problem with my Sony NEX-VG20 since day one but I dont know if its just me being stupid or not...

Everytime I put my camera in a high frame rate, like above 120fps.. I get this weird brown bands that travel up and down my screen. At first I thought it was a problem with the display, but it actually prints onto the recording as well. See the video below, first I knock it into low fps, then I put it up and up, and the higher it goes, the uglier it gets. Is this just because I shouldnt be shooting in higher than 120fps on my camera, or is my camera faulty?

I own a VG10 and know the VG20 is generally a fantastic camera which should not give you these issues. I would suggest a simple test.

Firstly, have you tried shooting outdoors in bright sunlight at 120fps with everything set to manual and the white balance set to 'outdoor'? If you have and still have the problem, then the camera is faulty and needs to be returned. The reason is shooting indoors at high frame rates creates lots of potential issues due to lighting, power supply, the settings you are using (looks as if you are set to 'auto' everything) whereas the sun does not have any of these issues.

If you shoot outdoors in the way I have described and there is no banding, then probably the issues are more to do with the light and settings you are using. The caveat is please note you should always consult a professional for advice, not someone unknown from a strange website... i.e. me.
    Last edited by gorillaonabike; 03-01-2014 at 05:18 PM.
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen