Thread: MP4 (.MOV) file misfires in Vegas

Default MP4 (.MOV) file misfires in Vegas

For some reason I don't understand, sometimes .MOV or .mp4 files won't play in the Sony Vegas 12 editor. When I go to get the clip (which views just fine in either Windows Media Player or Quicktime player), upon importing the media into Vegas I end up with a black green screen instead of video, but the audio is OK. This does not happen on all such files, but some. Today it has really got my goat. WHY? and how do I fix this? Midnight...HELP!!!!

To begin with, this is from a Vegas Pro document FAQ.
    "Q. If Vegas Pro is Quicktime compatible, why do some .mov files
    fail to play in Vegas Pro?
    A. It is important to remember that Quick Time, like MXF, is merely a file "wrapper,"
    not a format itself. If the .mov file contains a format with a codec that is supported in Windows,
    Vegas Pro will recognize and decode the .mov file as long as
    the codec is installed on the system."

A MediaInfo report of what's in the MP4/MOV, the Vegas version and the Quicktime version might help to find an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    To begin with, this is from a Vegas Pro document FAQ.
    "Q. If Vegas Pro is Quicktime compatible, why do some .mov files
    fail to play in Vegas Pro?
    A. It is important to remember that Quick Time, like MXF, is merely a file "wrapper,"
    not a format itself. If the .mov file contains a format with a codec that is supported in Windows,
    Vegas Pro will recognize and decode the .mov file as long as
    the codec is installed on the system."
    A MediaInfo report of what's in the MP4/MOV, the Vegas version and the Quicktime version might help to find an answer.

OK, that tells me the WHY, but that does not tell me HOW to fix the problem, if I have no idea what codec was used to make the original video?

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    OK, that tells me the WHY, but that does not tell me HOW to fix the problem, if I have no idea what codec was used to make the original video?
    That's where the MediaInfo report comes in. "MediaInfo is a convenient unified display of the most relevant technical and tag data for video and audio files."
    Download MediaInfo from the link in my post above, install, open your file there and see all the info including codecs from View /Text (or Tree).

Do not install any codec packs, only the specific codec for the specific file type from a trusted source.
    This link has good info on codecs and Vegas. See also the author's other Vegas tips.

You could also read e.g. http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/934667 for more discussion on your subject matter.
    Last edited by vkmast; 03-03-2014 at 09:07 AM.