Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nit-Picky Clients

When everything in the "educated world" fails, print a copy of the contract they signed, mark what is important in yellow and send to them. In my oppinion, NEVER give the money back, as this is what this kind of people want! They scream a lot because they have no reason....usually.

There is another problem here We don't have a contract with the couples because this is just a recommendation from a middleman(A wedding planner)and they are the one that deals with the packages.We normally have a contract signing with the middle man and it is just this one happens that we didn't get one.

We stopped offering weddings on our web site some time ago. After hundreds of weddings I'm not sure how many more times I can be sufficiently enthusiastic telling the same story over and over again, week in, week out, just with different actors. TBH I just got bored doing them! The only weddings we do now are for those who approach us because they know of some one we did a video for, or they were at a wedding we did and now they want us to do theirs. We're managing to keep it down to 3 or 4 a year.

In all the weddings we've covered, I've only twice had to go back and make a change and both times were to do with music. The first time the couple had chosen something totally inappropriate and we just didn't want to use it. When they got their DVD they insisted on the original music and IMO the edit was all the worse for it. But, they went away happy. Lesson learned.

The second time was because I asked the couple if they wanted the hymns included or not and they said not (verbal - big mistake - always get this stuff in writing). When they got the DVD they complained there were no hymns. I told them it was 45 per hour for me to put them back if they needed it 'now' or they could wait until the end of the wedding season when I had spare time and I'd do it for free. They chose to wait (how important could it have been?) but 5 months later they were very happy and recommended us to two other couples.

I've heard of several other wedding videographers having lots of problems after the day, but in almost every case they either didn't have a contract, didn't have a clear view of what they were expected to produce and never stood their ground afterwards regarding re-edits.

Only once did I have a couple want to sit through the entire edit. I told them we have a system that allows us to edit quickly, hence keeping the price down, but no problem if they want to co-edit, it will likely take two or three times longer so there will be an extra charge of 45 per hour and you'll need to allocate at least two consecutive days, possibly three. You'll also need to pre-pay at least two days worth of that before we start. All of a sudden the idea of spending 360 per day just to sit in on the edit didn't appeal so much and they just let us get on with it and loved the film we made.

Only once did I have a request for 'raw footage' and I said no problem, but since our cameras all record in different formats that your software (movie maker!!!) can't read we'll need to transcode all that for you and provide it on a hard disk. That's an extra 500. Suddenly it wasn't so important to get it.

--- Important Lessons learned ---

Sometimes you have to stand your ground. Don't give things away for free that take even a moment of your time. People will try to get extras for nothing and it all just reduces your final hourly rate. If I'd given in to some of the requests we'd have been way below minimum wage after things like insurance and equipment depreciation were taken in to account.

ALWAYS have a contract, even if there is a middleman. It doesn't matter who is employing you, you need a contract. State in the contract that they are hiring you as the professional and in the case of any dispute your editorial decision is deemed to be the right one. Always include a re-edit fee if it's ever required. Ours was 45 per hour including rendering and re-authoring time.

ALWAYS send a written questionnaire to the couple and insist you get it back before the day. No questionnaire returned = no shooting = no video & no refund. That's in the contract too. Include questions about locations (this gets last minute confirmations of any changes), timings for the day, any emergency contract phone numbers, who is in the wedding party, any special items being used (e.g. swords, garters etc), any special events they need you to cover that may be out of the ordinary for you and the use of ANY/ALL music chosen by the couple and used during the day. Ask if they want any hymns including in the final video or not (sometimes they could opt for just the first verse) and ask if there any people / difficult relationships you need to be aware of etc etc. If there are people they specifically want you to get and/or avoid insist on photos ahead of the day, otherwise you have no way of knowing who they are.

Shooting weddings can seem like fun and easy money. Once you've done a few you realise there is much more to it.

Wow, this is a great lesson with amazing details from real experiences... Thanks a lot DP!! The "swords" part is something I would never think about! Why is that?? Risk of personnal and/or equipment damage? Not that Im looking for the wedding bussiness, but its very interesting to learn how it works and all the facets involved!

What I learned from other experiences is that, when working with ANY other people, clear and detailed contracts are what REALLY matters. Even with people from your family, make sure you get a signed copy of a well made contract. In a past life I owned a "woodshop" specialized in ultra detailed high-end kitchens! So I worked with very rich people with that "I wanna be a gourmet chef one day per year!" feeling... OH boy, if weddings are full of crisis, imagine this kind of people.... A hundred pages contract including zillions of printed design details were not unusual, but they always worked well when something went "wrong"...

Even with that in hands, people WILL try to go around what was contracted.... If its too much, you can charge for it. If its not, you can give it as a bonus for the nice client... But you have full control of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-roll productions View Post
    There is another problem here We don't have a contract with the couples because this is just a recommendation from a middleman(A wedding planner)and they are the one that deals with the packages.We normally have a contract signing with the middle man and it is just this one happens that we didn't get one.
    Guess youre in trouble now... Not to mention that the couple crossed the border between you and the middleman.... Its more "personnal" now.. Not an easy problem anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    The "swords" part is something I would never think about! Why is that?? Risk of personnal and/or equipment damage?
    I've done several weddings that had a military guard of honour and they specifically wanted close ups on certain personal engravings on the swords etc. That's just one example. Another may be that they are having specific pictures of relatives that can't be there (to ill, recently died etc) and they want to make sure those are included in the video.

If you don't ask, they'll just assume you get all these little details that you may miss or even thing significant enough to include. If you ask and they don't mention it, and you don't included it then they have no cause for complaint after the day.

I am a wedding photographer. We face the same problems, as well. Lot of times nit-picking means that the brides is not happy with the way she looks. They start giving you hard time about unimportant things while they are really unhappy with they body shape, make up, etc. This is what we have experienced over the years. They can't blame about the fact that they don't look skinny enough on the wedding photos or video, rather they will give you hard time about the wrong color of the table decoration, etc. You can't change this. Just accept it.

Also, try to raise your prices. We found that the nit-picky brides are usually those who (come from Knot) bargain a lot and want everything half price but want to have everything....Not all the time, but we have found that higher paying brides and grooms complain less....

I hope this helps!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12