Thread: How would you dress a set?

Default How would you dress a set?

Shooting a freebie music vid for a mate. Am using the interior of a community centre which is a brick wall with wooden floorboards. Have 7 hours with light control, probably meaning 3 different setups. I was thinking:

- White sheet probably backlit
    - Brick wall
    - Erm, erm, erm, no idea...

Last time I did this, I used newspaper and green screen: https://vimeo.com/paulrwalker/review...935/ccf932163f

Help, any ideas?
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen

Is there a staircase where you can film from above? Some footage on stairs where the band moves up cut by cut.

One of my personal favourites is a dark scene, strongly back lit with just a little front lighting so you can make up some detail. I guess it depends on the type of music, what you are trying to communicate etc...

Given a choice, might a green screen be used again? I am thinking it offers more than a white sheet.
    I liked MDs suggestion; thus allowing shadows to become as important as light.
    I liked XXXRay's suggestion as it would offer some views based on height; not just the X/Y position of objects. Might some tables or chairs be draped to resemble interesting shapes?
    A door may also be useful (but the OP knows that, as he used one rather well in the last video).
    The earlier video used newspaper, but I can't think of anything else which is so cheap to get hold of. I might using a variety of plastic bags, but honestly cannot think how to use them as they would be rather reflective!

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Given a choice, might a green screen be used again? I am thinking it offers more than a white sheet.
    I liked MDs suggestion; thus allowing shadows to become as important as light.
    I liked XXXRay's suggestion as it would offer some views based on height; not just the X/Y position of objects. Might some tables or chairs be draped to resemble interesting shapes?
    A door may also be useful (but the OP knows that, as he used one rather well in the last video).
    The earlier video used newspaper, but I can't think of anything else which is so cheap to get hold of. I might using a variety of plastic bags, but honestly cannot think how to use them as they would be rather reflective!
    Bags... I didn't think of that! That's a good idea - if not for this one, for another - but not static on a wall, rather moving.

Blog Entries

My guide to crap locations

1. If the location is crap, use as few lights as possible. Leave shadows, let the viewer imagine what's in the dark
    2. Shine the light along the wall. ie get as close to the wall as you can and use the light to pick out the texture of the wall.
    3. Place objects in front of the light. Create shadows. Get some 5 venetian blinds from Ikea for example.
    4. Use colours. You can get small samples of lighting gels for a few pounds. Use them to make strong colours.
    5. Move the lights during shooting. Makes a very spooky impression.

Blog Entries

Some great ideas Rob (and all of you). That's what I love about this forum - I didn't ask the question - it probably wouldn't have even occurred to me to do so - but now I'm inspired to think more about such things
    Tim

8. Default

Nice positive thread and then...

Oh, he's back

Thanks chaps (presuming you are all chaps). Good stuff. Useful.

I was also thinking of hanging scarves, sheets and a fan. All together sounds interesting.