Thread: New Reel

Default New Reel

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share my (long overdue) show reel:

Focusing more on the visuals than showing entire scenes (I'm cutting a separate reel for that - just waiting for some sound work to be completed). The footage comprises of a few projects from the last 3 years also and includes a few shots from my latest film Soror which is in post-production at the moment!

Hope you enjoy!

Jim
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Blog Entries

Looks very, very good Jim. It servers as an excellent ad for your DoPs (or should that be Ds oP)- hope they appreciate it.
    Tim

Great images. From the reel I understand that you have a strong preference for slowmos. Was that intended?

Nice one Jim.

Thanks for watching guys - and yes. I love slow-mo!

Wow, some fantastic images! Ultra professional!!

Can you tell us a bit about the different proportions used on the images? What are they and why/when you use them?

Thanks, Tony

Thanks for the kind comments Tony!

My new short film Soror (the dancing, blackout studio shots) is probably the most noticeable footage of the reel as it was shot on an Alexa with lomo anamorphic lenses (2.35 ) making it look pretty distinctive compared to the other material. I've always wanted to try anamorphic out and loved the experience. Really wanted the film to feel epic. The lens flaring and distortions are also very cinematic and gave me many new options artistically.

The other 2 shorts, Driftwood (the swimming footage) and Do You Know This Girl (the 2 guys throwing the paper into the air), were also shot on an Alexa but with spherical glass at 1.85 which felt right for both of these projects. It feels a little more intimate at 1.85. Everything else was standard 16.9.

Thanks for the explanation! Just one more question on this same subject (formats). You are in the professional filming world, so these films are meant to distribution/exibition on TV and cinemas, right? How these different formats are accepted? Do they have specific uses? Do you have to use one or another depending on the final end use? 16:9 for TV I guess that is the normal... But will TV "buy" a 2:35 short (for example)? Or is it meant just to cinema?

Sorry if I´m asking the most basic stuff, but I see more and more the word "anamorphic" on video descriptions, and I always wonder about what it means.... Thanks in advance!! Tony