Thread: I want to make a music video where I can swap several clips of video to one song

Question I want to make a music video where I can swap several clips of video to one song

sound track.

I have Sony Movie studio 12. So basically I want to have several video strips that I can cut and paste together, yet have one solid sound track. The end result will be a music video. Is that easy to do or is there a limit of how many video tracks you can stack?

Thanks for any help.

Blog Entries

There is a limit, but I doubt it need concern you. From memory with Movie Studio the limit is 20 video and 20 audio tracks.
    The way I do this sort of thing is to lay down the complete track (audio and video) and then lay donw th additional clips on other tracks - using the audio waveform to sync everything. Then I'll generally delete the other audio tracks for tidiness (altough you may prefer just to muste them and drag them out of the way.
    This is all fairly run-of-the-mill for Movie Studio and once you get the hang of it I'm sure you'll enjoy it and start getting creative (have two or more videos playing at once in small windows, or superimposed - there's a world of fun out there)
    Tim

If you have a singer in your music video, one tip about the singer. Get them to really sing the song and not just mime the words. You can tell the difference.

you can make a good video.

Thumbs up

Thanks.

I'll have to experiment and see how it goes. I think it's going to be just one audio track but I'll need to edit several video tracks ....a lot of cut and pasting.

As far as the audio track, it's going to be a finished song with guitar bass and drums, so it will have to be lip sync'd but maybe they can actually sing along with the song and I'll just not record that particular audio track and sub the actual song instead.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joel76 View Post
    I think it's going to be just one audio track but I'll need to edit several video tracks ....a lot of cut and pasting.
    Welcome to our world! Video editing is very time consuming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel76 View Post
    but maybe they can actually sing along with the song and I'll just not record that particular audio track and sub the actual song instead.
    [/quote]
    Yes, that's exactly what Midnight was getting at.
    Tim

I'm not clear if these are sync vids ( ie taken with different cameras at one performance ), or more-likely several takes using different effects, angles, etc.
    For 1) you need to put each camera on a dedicated track, so first, the colour balance/audio levels can be corrected (although as suggested before you can "remove" the audio, retaining the "Best" as Master. ) - I would not remove audio at all, rather drop unwanted tracks to zero, using the slider on the Left, that way you can quickly get it back, if needed.
    Then using Composite level you can switch between cameras, crossfade etc and adjust the effect as necessary. . . . . even in Movie Studio. Comnposite level can be activated from the Track headers on the Left.

2) However, if this is a multi-take/multi performances it will be somewhat trickier.

Good luck.