Thread: Ok, so this is about where I'm at with making videos ....

Post Ok, so this is about where I'm at with making videos ....

I have a long way to go.
    I'm using Sony movie studio Version 12.

The problems I'm having is figuring out how to edit or replace just the sound track .... it seems locked up with the video track. Like if there is a bleep of noise or a word I want to edit out, I'm not sure how to do it.

Also, say if you wanted to blur a few frames, how do you do that? Finally, Sometimes I'll get my fonts set up in the editing mode, but it won't carry over to the finished product.

Oh well, here is a video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FLJH8HA45U

Joel,
    have you gone through some of these basic tutorials inside the software and the SCS site training section?
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...12training.JPG

OK I'm not a Sony expert but there should be a way to "unlink" (that is the term used in most editing software packages) the audio track from the video track.

Then you can "split" the audio track before and after the bad sound and "delete" the bad part.

If you follow the above instructions, you wont be happy with the result because you will also be clipping out the ambient noise as well (I am assuming that all your audio is in the same track).

A better solution is to find a section of ambient noise somewhere else in your audio track and "copy" it to where you just deleted the bad part. This will seem more natural. I put some words in quotes above so you could look up how to do each operation in your particular software.

With respect to blurring frames, you may have a video "effect" or "filter" called "camera blur". Look for that first.

Zam
    Last edited by zamiotana; 02-13-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    OK I'm not a Sony expert
    I am! Well, not really, but I can translate into Sony terminology which will make a whole lot more sense if you watch the tutorials to which vkmast has directed you.

but there should be a way to "unlink" (that is the term used in most editing software packages) the audio track from the video track.
    "Ungroup". Put the clip on te timeline (where it is now called an "event"). Make sure it is selected (click on in) and hit the "U" key (or right-click "ungroup" or select form menu, but I don't know anyone who hasn't learned the "U" keyboard shortcut.

Then you can "split" the audio track before and after the bad sound
    Make sure only the audio event is selected, place the cursor and hit "S" (again menu options and right clicks are available), once before, once after. OR click and drag across the section you want to delete and press "S" once. So many ways of skinning a cat...
    and "delete" the bad part.
    Make sure the "bad" part is selected and pres "Del" (usual comments about skinning cats apply)
    If you follow the above instructions, you wont be happy with the result because you will also be clipping out the ambient noise as well (I am assuming that all your audio is in the same track).

A better solution is to find a section of ambient noise somewhere else in your audio track and "copy" it to where you just deleted the bad part. This will seem more natural. I put some words in quotes above so you could look up how to do each operation in your particular software.
    Usual Windows type shortcuts apply. Find your selected bit of ambient, and "S"plit either end. Ctrl+C to copy, move cursor to where you want to paste it asn Ctrl+V to paste.
    With respect to blurring frames, you may have a video "effect" or "filter" called "camera blur". Look for that first.
    On the event you want to blur (don't forget to split if you want to blur only a section) click on the little green icon thingy for Event FX then add an FX of "Gaussian Blur" or one of several other blurs that are available.
    Zam
    ... who described the generic concept

Tim ... who described the specific steps for Movie Studio.

That's what this forum is about.
    Tim

An excellent tutorial from Tim, I'll just add a couple of refinements. If you want to "blur a few frames" try the defocus FX it can give nicer results depending on the look you a going for.

When you take out a small section of audio it's a good idea to add a piece of ambient room sound so the audio doesn't totally drop out. Just use a small section of the existing audio when no one is talking. OR if you want to be really professional record some empty room noise after the main shoot.

Wow! Thanks a lot! That's what I needed to hear on the audio and the video effects. I know the tutorials are basic but the additional info here in this thread is excellent! I'll update as I get further into it!

OP should set some time aside to go through half the "Show Me How" tutorials - an excellent source of hands-on assistance.

Also, as suggested the Sony Creative website has some tutorials, although these are not aimed at thorough beginners. Many deal with Vegas, but basic Tuts will cover both software.

I don't think deleting audio is a good idea..... far better to select the track, Copy and then Paste on another activated track. Now you can edit the "Copy" and move things around, while keeping the original sync'd up. ( This will avoid it going Pink ). Now, take the fine line at the top of the audio (called Gain ) and drag that to zero. This effectively silences the sync'd original track. The waveform disappears....but it can be brought back!

Why make it silent? - Because you can bring it back in an instant should you want to. It will also show areas that need attention, such as clicks, coughs, door-slams, etc. which may be used for syncing / FX.

Also, as others have suggested, there may be some ambient noise present that is valuable. It's always worth taking a Wild-track when you visit a venue, this can be useful to paste-over noise that is unwanted ( planes going overhead, traffic, etc. ). Such noises can destroy the appearance of a 19c Stroll in the Park!

When OP has done the tutorial SMH's, there is another way that can give the best of both methods - using the Volume line - I use this regularly on VO's where there are words that are too loud and sometimes a tailing-off towards the end of a sentence. ( "Volume" allows the level to be raised as well as lowered; whereas Gain is only for lowering a whole audio event. ).

Good luck.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 02-17-2014 at 11:00 PM.