Thread: removing the red

Default removing the red

I shot a charity event last summer and I am mixing all the audio with the video. However The venue used red lights that makes the video very hard to view. and when I try and remove the red it messes up the other colors. How can I just remove the red, or tone it down?

I shot the video with Canon 7D's and using Adobe Premier to edit it.

Did you already try white level correction?

Your editing software should have a Color Balance function and a histogram display that can allow you to null out the excess red.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shaggrafx View Post
    I shot a charity event last summer and I am mixing all the audio with the video. However The venue used red lights that makes the video very hard to view. and when I try and remove the red it messes up the other colors. How can I just remove the red, or tone it down?
    Is the red so far off from what you saw while you were filming? This happens while I film concerts. Even if the white balance is set the lights on stage change the color of the skin etc. If you didn't white balance and it's way off then try seeing if there is a while balance option in your video program.

Lighting technicians, especially in shows seem to love reds and yellows. For the audience it does give a sense of drama, but for cameras the skin tones are ghastly. Only solution is tweaking the white balance till it looks as good as you can get it
    Last edited by Zero; 02-03-2015 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Did I really hit send with s/white spelt thus?
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

You could also try a secondary (red) colour correction to reduce just the red in the image.