Thread: How do I level out sound??? Sony Vegas 9

Default How do I level out sound??? Sony Vegas 9

I am put a documentary together but the interviews I shot are at different volumes.

I know I can use the sliding gain on the left hand side but I dont know how much it has increased in relation to the other videos unless I render it and listen to it back and look at the volume on the sound track.

Can anybody help???

Right-click the chosen clip on your audio track. Choose "Switches" from the drop-down menu then select the "Normalise" switch. I guess you could Shift Click to select a particular range or indeed all the clips to highlight a batch before applying the Normalise switch. Hope this helps.

CA

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Akred View Post
    Right-click the chosen clip on your audio track. Choose "Switches" from the drop-down menu then select the "Normalise" switch. I guess you could Shift Click to select a particular range or indeed all the clips to highlight a batch before applying the Normalise switch. Hope this helps.

CA
    Thanks for your feedback.

So doing this would even out different the volume on different video clips?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    Thanks for your feedback.

So doing this would even out different the volume on different video clips?
    Only in a limited way. What this will do is make the maximum level of each event the same (0dB)
    You can adjust the relative gain between events in several ways:
    1. Pull down from the top of the event - this will reduce the gain of the whole event.
    2. Put a volume FX on each event - again this will affect the whole event
    3. Use volume envelopes (right click on the track header and select INsert/Remove ENvelope / Volume (or Shift+V)
    Tim

If I may...?
    OP knows how to use the track-sliders and ( if you hover on it), my copy of Movie Studio shows the set level ( and presuming you've Normalised as suggested, then the two levels should be closer to "Equal" but as TS suggests you could adjust one downwards, using the clip (s) themselves. The track ID panel needs to be moved right to expose the controls, -but I guess OP knows this?

Finally, you have to judge the levels - for example you might want the levels to be different if one player is talking on a telephone, or the Questioner in a panel game, perhaps.
    +Another trick is to adjust the "Smoothness" using the Track Effect feature. This is useful if the voice is rather shrill (or too boomy).
    Last edited by vidmanners; 02-04-2014 at 03:04 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara View Post
    I know I can use the sliding gain on the left hand side but I dont know how much it has increased in relation to the other videos unless I render it and listen to it back and look at the volume on the sound track.
    Just looking back at this
    1. You do not need to render anything in order to compare the levels of different events/tracks.
    2. Looking at the volume level indicators can be useful for checking if you've gone above a certain level (eg gone above a required limit, or if you're clipping - too much gain which introduces distortion) but they give little indication to the comparative "loudness" of different tracks/events. Different voices or recordings in different environments and different equipment all have an affect on the perceived loudness. Similarly different effects can affect the loudness. Compression is a classic example: by reducing the dynamic range (so that the quieter sounds aren't quite as queit compared to the louder ones) one can make a track sound luder without increasing the overall volume at all.

Don't try to automate. Use your ears. On as many different speakers as you can.

(Having said that, a great free little utility called Levelator is pretty useful for balancing the levels on an unbalanced recording - eg an interview where one person is much louder than the other)
    Tim

Have you got a link for that Levelator please?

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Just looking back at this
    1. You do not need to render anything in order to compare the levels of different events/tracks.
    2. Looking at the volume level indicators can be useful for checking if you've gone above a certain level (eg gone above a required limit, or if you're clipping - too much gain which introduces distortion) but they give little indication to the comparative "loudness" of different tracks/events. Different voices or recordings in different environments and different equipment all have an affect on the perceived loudness. Similarly different effects can affect the loudness. Compression is a classic example: by reducing the dynamic range (so that the quieter sounds aren't quite as queit compared to the louder ones) one can make a track sound luder without increasing the overall volume at all.

Don't try to automate. Use your ears. On as many different speakers as you can.

(Having said that, a great free little utility called Levelator is pretty useful for balancing the levels on an unbalanced recording - eg an interview where one person is much louder than the other)

Blog Entries

Here it is: http://web.archive.org/web/201307292...org/levelator/

Just to clarify, this is not a plug in. It is a standalone piece of software which takes one stereo track in and regurgitates one out. It does a pretty specific job and does it pretty well (in my opinion).
    Tim

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    1. Pull down from the top of the event - this will reduce the gain of the whole event.
    I mostly do this, and then perhaps use compressors on tracks to smooth them out more, and then perhaps Wave Hammer (if it still exists on the newer Vegas versions) on the master bus to bring up the overall level.

If a particular event is too low then I'd normalize and then trim the gain down as needed. I also split the audio into separate events if it needs different gain settings for different places, crossfading them for a smooth transition. Trimming the gain makes the signal start out "correct" for later stages of audio processing. I tend to aim for an average track level of -18dBFS with gains, followed by channel dynamics if needed and then use faders (the sliding control on the left) to make them sound subjectively the same.

I generally aim for mix levels averaging around -18dBFS (Wave Hammer bypassed) and peak levels comfortably below 0dBFS, then bring it up to an -16dBFS to -12dBFS RMS and peaks at -0.3dBFS with Wave Hammer (for music production, dialogue has its own standards).

Sound Forge is what I use to measure the RMS levels. You can download the TT Dynamic Range meter for that purpose, but it reads different from Sound Forge and Pro Tools (Audio Suite, Gain, analyze, RMS). You can import audio samples from programs similar to what you're doing and find out if yours produces a similar number.