Thread: First person view alpine coaster ride

Default First person view alpine coaster ride

I visited a ride during my last vacations in Germany and took some footage. Although I already expected to make a video out of I poorly planned which footage to take. We were a bit under time pressure so I couldn't take more footage. What you see in the video is pretty much all I took and retrospectively I wish I had taken more shots from next of the track.

Now I have some questions. In the beginning I have a fake tilt shift sequence (which would have better been taken from above) would the cut to the next clip have profited from a blur transition?
    At 1:35 I made a jump cut to third person view. I was considering to instead make a zoom out of the first person view and keep it as picture in picture. I was really struggling hard to make a decision was it the right one and was it right to keep the FPV sound?
    I know there is quite some wind noise but I kept it to create a better feeling for the speed. Would you have muted it?

I would have handled the "Tilt shift shot buy swapping it for a vignette and moving the text to the lower half of the screen and making the text a light colour. The transition from this would be down to personal taste. I would have held the text on the screen for the full length of the clip and done a straight cut or maybe even a fade to black.

With regard to the cut at 1:35, (Which isn't called a jump cut it's just a cut. A jump cut is when you cut to a shot that is similar to the previous shot) It's a shame you didn't have more footage like this as inter-cutting between this and the POV would have enhanced the whole piece. So, because of the lack of non POV footage I think the PiP would have worked if it was matched up well with the other footage.

I think it was right to keep the original audio but I didn't like the music you have but I am probably at least 25 years older than you.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    and making the text a light colour.
    I was literally trying ours to find a coloring that would work and finally just gave up. I just didn't want to use simple white with black borders,

It's a shame you didn't have more footage like this
    Yes - I really pitty that now :(
    At least a panoramic shot showing the tremendous outlook and the beginning of the track would have taken just a few seconds.

but I didn't like the music you have but I am probably at least 25 years older than you.
    I am aiming at Youtube audience ...

Nice track ride, eh?

It´s a bit long (the video, not the track!), since you can´t add more variety of shots. The first cut at 1:35 means more than one minute in the same 1st take, the pov take... so it got a bit too long after 30 seconds. Not my kind of music too, but I understand the YT audience thing... In this case, you can add some "extravagant" transitions too! And some film burns too...

Blog Entries

trying to read the text distracted me from both the narraton and the video.
    I'd suggest you put it against a solid background (or fairly solid) - maybe a lower third.
    I did not like the wind noise and whilst I understand your reasons for using it I would be inclined to leave it out.
    Whilst not my cup of tea, I didn't dislike the music so much that I wanted to switch off, however, I'm not sure it added to the excitement and wonder if a different piece might have been better.

The bggest problem for me was that the rde looked more like a Sunday afternoon stroll than an exhilarating ride. I think you need to cheat!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    And some film burns too...
    How could I forget about film burn