Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob question. HD Video quality at full screen.

1. Default Noob question. HD Video quality at full screen.

Hey, I'm very new to this and I could be asking a very simple and stupid question that's probably been asked before.

I have a couple of Nikon photography cameras that also record HD video; a D3100 DSLR that records 1080(can't remember if i or p off the top of my head) and a Nikon Coolpix L310 that records 720p.

Now the issue I'm having is this, when I transfer the footage I film to either my iMac or my PC it looks great if I have it in smallish window, say standard youtube size. However it becomes far from HD when I view in full screen or any larger size (very grainy). Now I can't say much about the L310 but I have seen footage allegedly from a D3100 that maintains its HD at full screen.

Is this possibly because I am viewing on non HD monitors? I ask because despite them not being HD monitors, when I watch HD video on Youtube I have been able to watch a perfectly crisp picture at full screen.

Is there something I'm missing.

Thanks for the help.

Andy.

Which resolution does your full screen have?

3. Default

My iMac is on 1680 x 1050.

1) What software are you using to display the video?

2) What resolution are you actually running at?

3) If you're playing this back in your editor, what resolution is your timeline set to and what quality playback is it set to?(e.g. premiere pro could be set to full, half, quarter etc).

4) What have you done with the footage since taking it out of the camera, e.g. transcoding or importing directly to the player/editor etc?

5. Default

Thanks for the responses.

So far I have done nothing to the video, I have simply transferred it from the SD card to the hard drive of my iMac. I have then directly opened the file from there which automatically plays in Quicktime which I have set all quality setting to maximum. Up until now I have done all my editing in Final Cut, however as I have recently built a high powered PC which I actually built for gaming, I figured its higher spec processor and ram and HD graphics card (albeit running a DVI monitor) would be better suited to video editing. So I have just installed Adobe Premiere Pro CS2 on there. However I have yet to get to the editing stage. My iMac is set to 1680x1050 (it's max resolution) and the PC runs at 1440x900 (it's monitors max).

I would at least the footage from your D3100 expect to look crisp. The L310 may use a higher compression rate. Are there settings on the D3100 where you can change the video recording quality?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    I would at least the footage from your D3100 expect to look crisp. The L310 may use a higher compression rate.?
    That's what I thought and was the reason I bought the D3100 when the L310 results weren't quite up to scratch.

I've been doing a bit more research and reading up, it seems the graininess I'm getting is that of the gain the cameras add in low light, however I felt my light was sufficient, the reason being is that I have two Sanyo CG10 pistol grip HD camcorders that record at 720p and in the same light their footage comes out great. Do photography cameras require more lighting on video than dedicated video recorders?

Quote Originally Posted by andy__c View Post
    I've been doing a bit more research and reading up, it seems the graininess I'm getting is that of the gain the cameras add in low light, however I felt my light was sufficient, the reason being is that I have two Sanyo CG10 pistol grip HD camcorders that record at 720p and in the same light their footage comes out great. Do photography cameras require more lighting on video than dedicated video recorders?
    DSLRs typically work better in low light than small chip video cameras, but there are some caveats.

High ISO (DSLR) and high gain (video) will rob you of detail if it has built in noise reduction enabled (some you can't disable it) because it's effectively smearing the detail to get rid of the noise. Once it's gone there's nothing you can do to bring it back.

If you're shooting in low light and lifting the ISO/Gain then consider adding a small LED light and see how much difference that makes.

What is the D3100 footage like when you shoot outdoors in daylight at no more than (say) ISO 400? Don't let the camera use automatics, shoot full manual at maybe 1/50 shutter, f5.6 ISO200 (maybe up to ISO400 and 800 max) at 1080p, then see what it looks like. Make sure all built in noise reduction is turned off. If this footage still looks really bad then there is something else wrong.

When you're playing back on screen, set quicktime to play at 50% instead of what ever the weird scaling would like like at full screen. That way you're keeping a good ratio for viewing. If you're scaling to weird numbers then quicktime could be doing a lower resolution scale in order to keep up and play in real time.

You didn't say if you are using Final Cut 5/6/7 or FCPX. You typically won't be able to edit H264 footage in the older Final Cut without transcoding (to ProRes), so I was going to assume you were using FCPX, but then looking at your screen size it seems you're on an older iMac that probably doesn't support it. So perhaps you could clarify your iMac CPU/GPU and what software version you're actually using. At that point we can try tracking down any settings that could be awry.

On windows, Premiere Pro CS2 is really old and may also need you to transcode the DSLR (or other H264) footage. My recollection was it didn't play natively until CS5, but I could be wrong.

Try if you get better results at the lowest f-stop you can choose.

10. Default

I may have gotten somewhere with this, I changed the D3100 to 720 rather than its max of 1080 and the picture transfers across to the iMac perfectly. So I'm assuming it's either a case of the D3100 1080 not being that great, it being the lowest priced of Nikon's video capable DSLRs or my iMac doesn't handle 1080 to well. However if it is the iMac that doesn't explain why the L310 @ 720 doesn't look as good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast