Thread: Weird, abstract dance piece, just because I can...

Default Weird, abstract dance piece, just because I can...

https://vimeo.com/paulrwalker/review...947/58423b5de9

Don't think this will be popular but I did it just because I could. It's completely different from the last music vid I popped on here. It is bare, strange, weird, esoteric and, well, you'll see.

This was co-directed by a Swedish film maker who mostly did the good bits. I learned a lot from him on this although y'all might disagree that there is anything at all to learn.

What do you think?
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen

Ok I tried but still can't get into this modern dance stuff. I liked the location and the video edit. Although the mirror effect was generally a good idea in my eyes it did not work at 02:55 for me.

Blog Entries

Ignoring the content, which goes way over my head:
    I agree about 02:55. It looked like an erroneous edit.
    I presume the background was intentionally blown out in order to reduce detail and lessen distraction from the subject and to produce a "white" backdrop, I didn't dind it aesthetically pleasing ad it looked like it had just been done in order to more correctly expose the subject.
    There wree a few places where "jaggies" appeared on fast horizontal movement - as if the image had been zoomed in post without having been properly deinterlaced.
    On a more positive note, I generally enjoyed the edit, which seemed symathetic to the content and the commposition of images.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Ignoring the content, which goes way over my head:
    I agree about 02:55. It looked like an erroneous edit.
    I presume the background was intentionally blown out in order to reduce detail and lessen distraction from the subject and to produce a "white" backdrop, I didn't dind it aesthetically pleasing ad it looked like it had just been done in order to more correctly expose the subject.
    There wree a few places where "jaggies" appeared on fast horizontal movement - as if the image had been zoomed in post without having been properly deinterlaced.
    On a more positive note, I generally enjoyed the edit, which seemed symathetic to the content and the commposition of images.

Have a problem at 2:55. Have now played with this a little but it's not ideal as don't have the 'perfect' footage I needed. Thanks for the heads-up.

The aesthetic has been chosen deliberately. Everything is a stylistic counterpoint with dark / white, sound / no sound, split screens where the dancer is moving forwards and backwards. Even the music is played both forwards and backwards.

To be more complicated, the dancer is moving backwards and then the footage is reversed. So she moves backwards and forwards in time and space simultaneously which represents the confusion of the City spilling over into her consciousness. However, she returns to her reflections (hence the reflections) and then the noise of the City returns as she moves away from her thoughts.

This is what happens when you cross a Swedish surrealist with a contemporary dancer! Strangely, I learned quite a lot! To start with, I know nothing about Swedish surrealism when it's mixed with contemporary dance...
    Last edited by gorillaonabike; 01-29-2014 at 02:48 AM.
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen