Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Microphone advice?

Default Microphone advice?

Hey guys,

Starting to get into film-making and one of my 1st purchases in addition to my Canon 60D DSLR will have to be a microphone for proper high quality sound recording.
    I have read that Uni-Directional shotgun mics are most recommended.

Any particular suggestions though as far as mics?
    Any other accessories I should get? (like boom poles, wind filters ...)
    Any attributes I should look at?
    Any particular mic suggestion?

My budget would be around 200$.
    I want a good value for money product.

Any help really appreciated !!!

I too am faced with the same problem. I have a few mics including me66 and radio mics, which all have xlr outputs. I'm split between a beachtek box to feed these into which will give me the headphone monitoring etc, but still relies on the 70D audio input quality, or a confandabulator adaptor which will allow the xlr fit into 3.5mm input, then rely on camera audio levels for adjustment.
    The final solution would be the zoomh4 which would no doubt be superior sound but the added hassle of syncing the audio to video in the edit. hmmm?
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

given your price point I suspect one of the Rode consumer products would be your best bet (i.e. pick something from their VideoMic series and plug it into your camera)

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    What kinds of video will you be making? Otherwise it's like asking what lens to buy but forgetting to mention you were interested in landscapes and not bird watching.

The general advice on shotguns, or all more directional mics is that attaching them to the camera is fraught with problems for many reasons, but mainly because your centre mark is not always where a sound source is. Once you start to move to shotguns you really need a sound person to aim them. You also have the fact that many better mics need phantom power which your camera can't supply, and your camera doesn't have the best audio performance anyway, so lots of people will recommend an external audio recorder that can power the microphone and record decent quality sound you stick on afterwards - or gizmos to attach to the camera that attempt to give you proper mic sockets - but still use the camera audio.

A modest mic and recorder will still double your budget.

So what do you want the mic to do?
    I will be making movies (short-films)
    My goal is to have clear sound quality (especially voice's)

You said an external recording device is recommended?
    I really don't mind to buy an external recorder, I know how to synch everything in Premiere Pro. The only constraint is my budget.
    Preferably the whole setup shouldn't g over $300.

A little more info but not really enough IMHO.
    If yr films are outside "sets" then sound quality can be a problem . . . really you need a sound/boom operator and either record to camera ( with some suitable interface, as you've mentioned ). Although in practice using a SDHC recorder is far more flexible, esp. if it has level-meters - There is a difference between using the Auto-Level and "Manual" sound, something you can experiment.
    The interface for yr camera will be expensive - and for similar money, Zoom make a version with XLR connections . . . . why not have a look at one?
    Having a separate recorder is often very useful for picking up Foley, or making Voiceovers, SFX etc.

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    A little more info but not really enough IMHO.
    If yr films are outside "sets" then sound quality can be a problem . . . really you need a sound/boom operator and either record to camera ( with some suitable interface, as you've mentioned ). Although in practice using a SDHC recorder is far more flexible, esp. if it has level-meters - There is a difference between using the Auto-Level and "Manual" sound, something you can experiment.
    The interface for yr camera will be expensive - and for similar money, Zoom make a version with XLR connections . . . . why not have a look at one?
    Having a separate recorder is often very useful for picking up Foley, or making Voiceovers, SFX etc.
    Hey thanks for tips.
    Can you give more particular suggestions though that you think are good? (like amazon product link etcc...)
    Last edited by Van Gogh; 02-04-2014 at 03:15 AM.

My post shows Amazon dot Co dot UK . . . . so I guess "Zoom Audio" under Photo would be a good start . . . . OR, if you are near Maplin, they do many Zoom Models.
    My own recorder is discontinued, "Palm Track" but is now branded Forge (or similar?), but has only 3.5mm connections. Mine was the same price as the basic zoom about 70...

You might like to make yourself a small piece of wood/carpeted to hold the Recorder and provide support for the XLR Mic-cables, since the recorder alone, will be somewhat lightweight. Such an accessory could be used to provide a easy-reading angle too.
    Provide both 3/8 Whit as well as 1/4 Whit sockets - and you might go for a lighting-stand one 16mm Dia, but this is starting to become a decent piece of useful kit.
    Good luck.

I have read a lot of gogd recommendations for Rode VideoMic Pro Shotgun Microphone.
    Is it recommended?

Also, is an external recorder source (like Zoom H4N)
    really needed? Can't I just plug the mic into my DSLR? What advantage does an external recorder give?

Blog Entries

The Rode videomic is NOT a shotgun. It is a cheap capsule in a housing and a lot of people have had problems with it.

Quite a few people on this forum have tried it and come to the conclusion that it's not very good.

You are better off looking for something secondhand rather than going for a Rode.

With sound recording, microphone placement is the most important consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    The Rode videomic is NOT a shotgun. It is a cheap capsule in a housing and a lot of people have had problems with it.

Quite a few people on this forum have tried it and come to the conclusion that it's not very good.

You are better off looking for something secondhand rather than going for a Rode.

With sound recording, microphone placement is the most important consideration.
    What do you mean by microphone placement?
    Do you mean getting the microphone as close to the subject as possible?

Also, If Rode is bad, what would you recommend instead?
    What about an external recorder source (like Zoom H4N). Should I be thinking about getting one as well?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast