Thread: Mini Disc recordings

Blog Entries

Default Mini Disc recordings

Okay, anyone here know how to solve this brace of questions...

1. What format are mini discs recoded in (.wav, mp3 etc?) ?
    2. What's the best way to get a recording on a mini-disc onto a PC for subsequent editing.

Okay.. off you go lads...

Blog Entries

Apparently Sony MD use a proprietary form of ATRAC, which is a lossy codec.

I'd say the simplest method would be to connect the lineout (i.e headphone) of the MD to the line in of the PC on your soundcard using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio lead. You can use the free Windows Sound Recorder bundled with every copy of Windows to do this.

Alternatively you could go: MD > Camcorder using a 3.5mm to 2 x phono the a Firewire Cable > PC > Editing suite to get the audio direct to your editing application.

Or if your PC has optical in, connect via this.

Blog Entries

The "Minidisc-analogue out -PC- analogue in- windows recorder" route is what I managed to work out, but it means converting the data twice, with all the loss and distortion risks which that involves (okay, not that much but hey, I like perfection) so I was looking for a less lossy route.
    Tell me more about this optical thingy oh wise one...

Blog Entries

Wise? Only ever after the event.

I wouldn't say there will be much loss in quality through the mini-jack connection (at least not to the human ear). Record it to PCM and you'll be fine.

It's unlikely but possibe you have an optical-in connection on your PC (and I believe all minidiscs have an optical in/out). But as I say, I doubt you'd notice the difference in quality through an analogue-digital - very much like taking an analogue signal from a DV cam to a PC results in perfect results .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    Alternatively you could go: MD > Camcorder using a 3.5mm to 2 x phono the a Firewire Cable > PC > Editing suite to get the audio direct to your editing application.
    This is the route I always use and it works to perfection. Oddly though, minidisc recordings seem to lose time. I have found that after recording to MD from a bands soundesk (maybe an hour of music, live) at the end it will never sync together with the video. Only about one second out, but thats alot.

I have never found out why.

One for the boffins....

Blog Entries

Yup, went down the old fashioned "connect it with a wire" route and the quality (speech recorded on a lavalier) was quite acceptable but...

It was a "braces and belt" back up to a fly on the wall doc and, as turnmedia pointed out, there was a sync issue after a few minutes of recording. Now, with reality docs I follow the "shoot everything, cut out the cr*p later" approach. The result was that after thirty minutes of one take the mini-disc was more than just a few frames out.

Okay, so (since this is an ongoing private project) anyone know where I can get some cheap radio mikes?

Blog Entries

Cheap and Radio Mics aren't you often hear in the same sentence. I seem to remember Sony doing a cheapo offering though...

Blog Entries

Yeah, I realise it's very much a case of "you get what you pay for" but you never know....

this might sound weired....does any one no of a place that does cheap XLR to jack mic pre amps...you see i am finding that my audio recorded via line in is VERY quiet...ny help would do...thankx!!