Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Projection TV Wide Angle Lens

  1. #1

    Lightbulb Projection TV Wide Angle Lens

    I scrap electronics and today I did a tabletop style projection TV which instead of having three projector lenses (red blue and green) it had one lens which they all came through, there was only one light and no oil filled lenses. Anyway the one lens is what this is and it is of pretty good quality!



    It has almost no fisheye effect even when up close however it is extremely wide and very clear but only at a certain distance from your eye, any closer it blurs out quickly and I think there is an inner and outer lens:



    Possibly I can remove the inner lens and that will remove the blurring when being close to your eye, if not I can attach it to a rig of some sort:



    Something like this but it might be too close on my SD9:



    No threads though :(
    Last edited by PinkFloydEffect; 01-26-2014 at 03:52 AM.
    Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

  2. #2

    Default

    I don't mean to use a toilet as my subject but this is the smallest room in this building I am in right now it is very very cold outside. This is a screenshot from my SD9 with no addition lens FULLY ZOOMED OUT it does not take very good video:



    I ran these screenshots through Photoshop, I always have to adjust the colors and balances when rendering video with this camera possibly due to the 1/3" 3CCD:



    This is the lens held to the camera zoomed in, apparently it can focus better then my eye up close but still blurry around the sides however look how wide it is with no fisheye effect!



    The lens zoomed all the way out, much clearer around the edges and overall...maybe I can mount the lens away from the camera and zoom in further instead of mounting it against the camera housing:



    Outdoors again original, worked, lens zoomed, lens zoomed out:






    Maybe I will just use it on one of my CCTV cameras, keeping my eye out for more of these in the future since I scrap electronics.
    Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,846
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkFloydEffect View Post


    [B]I ran these screenshots through Photoshop, I always have to adjust the colors and balances when rendering video with this camera possibly due to the 1/3" 3CCD:
    Erm ... 1/6" CCD
    Tim

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Posts
    811

    Default

    wow, when I saw the first picture with the lens atached to the camera I thought: this thing is so wide that it will film the back of the cameraman!!! Interesting experiment!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,192
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Nice! I really like the fisheye effect, but be careful not to overdo it.

    As for the position... I would be wary of moving the lens away from the camera and zooming in with the camera lens.

    I've not used a projector lens on a camera (yet. Having seen your results I'll be having a go as soon as I can!) but I have used a wide angle attachment to expand a projected image. I know that lenses (or objectives) are built to operate at a certain distance and a projector lens will be built to focus from a short distance. Even though you are using the lens back-to-front (so to speak) I reckon that moving it away from the camera would lose sharpness because you are enlarging part of the glass instead of using all of it.

    The slight (well, I'm being polite) fringing at the edge of the image doesn't detract too much and I'm surprised at how little distortion there is.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Erm ... 1/6" CCD
    Oops...exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    wow, when I saw the first picture with the lens atached to the camera I thought: this thing is so wide that it will film the back of the cameraman!!! Interesting experiment!
    It is very wide, but no fisheye effect!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    Nice! I really like the fisheye effect, but be careful not to overdo it.

    As for the position... I would be wary of moving the lens away from the camera and zooming in with the camera lens.

    I've not used a projector lens on a camera (yet. Having seen your results I'll be having a go as soon as I can!) but I have used a wide angle attachment to expand a projected image. I know that lenses (or objectives) are built to operate at a certain distance and a projector lens will be built to focus from a short distance. Even though you are using the lens back-to-front (so to speak) I reckon that moving it away from the camera would lose sharpness because you are enlarging part of the glass instead of using all of it.

    The slight (well, I'm being polite) fringing at the edge of the image doesn't detract too much and I'm surprised at how little distortion there is.
    There really is no fisheye effect lines remain straight, when I move the lens away from my eye it gets much clearer and I am using the camera closer to the lens then the projector was. Either way I am happy enough with the results to pursue this further, the edges are kinda weird and separated but not nearly as much for the amount of wideness you get!
    Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

Similar Threads

  1. Wide angle lens for the Panasonic HDC-SD600
    By Amato in forum Technology advice and tips
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2011, 10:13 AM
  2. Can someone link me to a HDR HC1 Wide Angle Lens
    By gtisingh in forum Technology advice and tips
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-11-2009, 09:08 PM
  3. Help Needed with Wide Angle Lens
    By Ivanda in forum Hardware Problems
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 03:49 AM
  4. Wide Angle lens and polariser lens
    By TractionKiting in forum Technology advice and tips
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 10:49 PM
  5. Sony HC1 HD wide angle lens...!
    By spikemike in forum Technology advice and tips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-03-2007, 02:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •