Thread: Music vid

Default Music vid

So... this isn't up to standard but I think is passable: https://vimeo.com/paulrwalker/review...456/69df2b8874

Lots of issues during the shoot related to artist turning up late, artist's entourage not turning up late, artist not turning up with a hairbrush etc...

Given the total lack of time, I think it's just about OK. Also, the 50s stuff is copyright free - public domain, zero issues.

Waddya reckon?
    Last edited by gorillaonabike; 01-20-2014 at 10:22 PM.
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen

Blog Entries

It must be difficult to kow what to do with a seated pianist/singer - there's not a lot going on. I thought your approach had some merit but I wasn`t taken by the execution. In particular I did not like the split screens where we had, for example, two images on the left filling the frame vertically with an image on the right with black borders top and bottom. Add to this that the "lines" spliting the images were dark grey as opposed to the black of the borders and it definitely looked more thrown together than designed.
    Similarly some of the shots didn't cut together well: look at the two right hand shots around 0:48. Both are mid shots showing the artist behind the piano, from different angles but also from her position, looks and most of all lighting, clearly taken at different times. I'm not sure the "Sin City" effects added anything and again the cutting to and from them sometimes seemed rather harsh.
    It also seemed very unclear whether she was singing to me (the camera) or singing to herself and rather self consciously glancing at the camera. Indeed as she sings her poening line she looks up from the keyboard then immediately changes her look the camera and then down again.
    Finally she looked overlit- shiny. Some powder (or less light?) wouldn't have gone amiss.
    I doubt I could have done better, but I hope I'd have been just as critical of my own work.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I did not like the split screens where we had, for example, two images on the left filling the frame vertically with an image on the right with black borders top and bottom.
    I generally liked it.

the "lines" spliting the images were dark grey
    I knew there was something odd

I'm not sure the "Sin City" effects added anything
    Same for me. The chroma hold turned me off.

I generally liked that you used old footage which added a nice contrast to the modern shots.

I'm kinda comfortable with the split screens. Chroma is meh...

Frankly, I think it's a little on the dull side which is the issue. I am comfortable with the split screens although the B&W bit is enjoyed by people who aren't film makers but hated by film makers... go figure!

What I did was to design and create a fantastic concept... which couldn't be executed because the artist turned up late (she only paid for 4 hours in the room and we had half of that including setup time) and also turned up without the actor! I was absolutely gutted but did a 'save' as a music vid.

I'm not particularly enamoured by my save. It's OK but a bit boring. What would you have done?

I generally liked the video and would just not have used the Sin City effect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gorillaonabike View Post
    I'm kinda comfortable with the split screens.
    Understood. I was just posting personal opinion And just to be clear - it wasn't the split screen per se I didn't like - just the "imbalance" of it (the black bars on one side only made it look "unfinished" to me)
    What would you have done?
    Funnily enough I might have made more of the split screen, and mixed true colour with graded content. But I think it is important that the shots on screen at the same time and either side of them are different enough (either subject or angles).
    In retrospect, you could have made use of the time waiting for the talent to film parts of the piano - especially with the cover off - showing mechanisms moving etc.
    Tim

I'm kinda comfortable with the split screens. Chroma is meh...

Frankly, I think it's a little on the dull side which is the issue. I am comfortable with the split screens although the B&W bit is enjoyed by people who aren't film makers but hated by film makers... go figure!

What I did was to design and create a fantastic concept... which couldn't be executed because the artist turned up late (she only paid for 4 hours in the room and we had half of that including setup time) and also turned up without the actor! I was absolutely gutted but did a 'save' as a music vid.

I'm not particularly enamoured by my save. It's OK but a bit boring. What would you have done?
    Thanks! The next one, however, is in a completely different league to this one and I'll pop it on here once the artist gives permission.

The one after that will be completely crazy... a priest, a dominatrix, game of poker, a fight, a little bit of light bondage, some praying and a bit of singing. Incidentally, do you know where I could get a 'free' dominatrix from? It doesn't need to be a real dominatrix, just a lady with tight leather or PVC clothing, an attitude and preferably a whip....

Understood. I was just posting personal opinion And just to be clear - it wasn't the split screen per se I didn't like - just the "imbalance" of it (the black bars on one side only made it look "unfinished" to me)

Funnily enough I might have made more of the split screen, and mixed true colour with graded content. But I think it is important that the shots on screen at the same time and either side of them are different enough (either subject or angles).
    In retrospect, you could have made use of the time waiting for the talent to film parts of the piano - especially with the cover off - showing mechanisms moving etc.
    Those are good ideas and fair point. Good idea about shooting the piano strings... especially as I am a classical prize-winning pianist who played piano in a bar for money 20+ years ago... D'oh.

Isn't hindsight just terrible.