Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does a music licence cover video?

1. Default Does a music licence cover video?

My video will be playing at a private event at a venue which has the appropriate licences to play music. Do these licences cover music used in videos for that 'performance'? The videos I'm creating wont be played away from this venue.

Blog Entries

That's a good question. Almost certainly it will not. The rights to use music on recorded media are separate from just playing the music in a public place.

I'd give this lot a call. http://www.prsformusic.com
    Tim

Without knowing all the ins & outs of this situation it's hard to know what to advise. Are you asking if the venues licence will cover the production of your video or just the showing of your video ?

Blog Entries

Paul, are you sure about this? You may be right about the presentation aspect, but surely he will need a licence to cover the use of the audio synced to the video (ie he is syncing it on the video, the video and audio aren't both being played separately and coincidentally)
    Tim

Well in a pinch he could play them separately so that they coincidentally work together the way he wants them to - since the audio can't possibly match the video unless it is a lip-sync, then they only happen to be linked by virtue of being in the same file on a hard disk - a technicality I would think - but he could unlink them and start them at the same time if this is somehow important

Blog Entries

As Tim says, definitely give them a call. There is a clear distinction between using music in a video and playing music at a venue, I.e the act of creating the DVD with music implies the requirement for a limited manufacture licence. This will cover you for your use.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    However, the limited manufacture license deals with distribution and manufacturing, not playing in a performance venue.
    When you give them a ring, make sure you explain everything and make certain they have understood you properly, because sometimes they will tell you things based on assumptions they've made. They could easily get it wrong.
    which is what both Tim and I have said. The licence I mentioned is to cover the manufacture, which is the responsibility of the poster. This is distinct from the licence for playing, which is the responsibility of the venue and something that the venue has covered. This is of course just my interpretation.

Blog Entries

Paul, I dare you to admit that

a) you don't know the answer (telling us about your unrelated experiences was a bit confusing), and
    b) you misread the original post (he states that he is making the video)

Go on, have a bit of fun.

Ok it took a while for Tim and Mark's argument to sink in but i believe they are correct - when you sat at your computer and added the music to your video I think you needed to be sure you were allowed to do that, irrespective of the people playing your video

i was at a conference where somebody was looping a corporate presentation on the big screen and the DJ was playing dance music at the same time but this isn't what you are doing

Blog Entries

I don't really want to continue speculation, my formal stance remains - phone them up. However, a couple of points which make me think you may be wrong.
    OK - let's try another example. I create a DVD containing material I have shot myself. I dub onto this the music often associated with Formula 1 - and then play this with a projector and linked to a sound system. The DVD is not for distribution, it's not for selling, or giving away, and afterwards will end up in the bin. No way does a LML get involved. PRS gets paid on the sound content by the venue. My video content is invoiced to the production company, and is nothing to do with PRS/PPL or MCPS.
    I believe that is what the OP is doing. I believe that a licence IS required for MCPS because you are recording musical works owned by members of MCPS.

I have an amateur licence allowing me to do this, with, as one might expect, very severe limitations about where they can be exhibited (paraphrasing: amateur clubs where no admittance is charged, charitable events, amateut film festivals, up to two other public festivals per year in addition to those already mentioned).

The same licence states that this does not cover the actual performance or broadcast of the material and that a PRS licence is required for that.

If a PRS licence covered the syncing in the first place there would be no requirement for the MCPS licence.
    However, maybe some people do take out a LML every time they burn a DVD, and discover the menu doesn't work, so take out another for the next version, and another. If they do - they're crazy.
    Paul, a licence is required to sync music to a DVD. This is irrespective of quantity and irrespective of financial gain. Those two may affect the cost of the licence and the precise nature of the licence but they do not affect the fact that a licence is required.
    When I take out a LML for 50 DVDs and my first three or four "test" attempts have menu errors etc, of course they do not count towards the 50 - so long as I destroy them.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast