Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with Lighting

Simon, I saw your kit (nice one), so I believe you have enough to solve the puzzle. The socks that you use over the leds do not difuse the source enough - we still see a "point" of light reflected on the board, right? The softboxes create a bigger pannel of light that you can use closer to the areas you have to light.... Your "point" sources must get further to get the same effect I guess, what means loosing light and/or need of a bigger room.

Of course you must adjust aperture/speed to work with less light; today you can almost film in total darkness....but this will bring noise etc etc... (another subject).

Our posts disapeared, but we´re on the track again...

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Simon, I saw your kit (nice one), so I believe you have enough to solve the puzzle. The socks that you use over the leds do not difuse the source enough - we still see a "point" of light reflected on the board, right? The softboxes create a bigger pannel of light that you can use closer to the areas you have to light.... Your "point" sources must get further to get the same effect I guess, what means loosing light and/or need of a bigger room.

Of course you must adjust aperture/speed to work with less light; today you can almost film in total darkness....but this will bring noise etc etc... (another subject).

Our posts disapeared, but we´re on the track again...
    Here is the kit again: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...interview.html

I purchased a second light, a second SpectroLED 9 (only one was included), so that I could mimic that Moz setup in my second post, though they don't seem to be removing the shadows at all. Perhaps I just need to better calibrate the dimmer knobs with the 2.8f lens aperture somehow...

Which soft boxes do you suggest? Also, my ceilings are high, but I'm 6'4", so having a softbox above me is tough. Are there any that are more wide than tall? That would fit under the ceiling better.

3. Default

I see lightboxes for 15X15", 26X26", and 36X36" and I'm not sure they fit over the Spectro LED 14s and 9s.

I can ask B&H for lightbox recommendations if you aren't sure what to suggest.

Thanks,
    Simon
    Last edited by simon389; 01-20-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Sorry, I have no experience with this kit. On the website they say you can add umbrellas, but don´t mention softboxes. There is also a big rectangular reflection pannel, that looks better than umbrellas. The people at the store may help you better, not to mention assume the responsability if it does not fit your kit well...

You have a very nice kit of lights. The dimming will help a lot. It´s just a matter of mounting the circus and play with the many variables in hand... The pros spend hours looking for the right setup at each scene!! I once rented the front of my house for a tv comercial. They spent 6 hours to set the lights and a reflection pannel so big that it closed the street for the entire day! My neighbours love me for that I guess!!!

5. Default

Cool, thanks. I bought an umbrella and it fits into a little hole between the LEDs.

Do you think this kit is bright enough for my setup? I worry that I will need more juice considering I can't just place the lights right next to the camera like most do.

By the specs it seems more than enough, although we never know well what to expect from Leds... and don´t forget that your camera can get great results on low light too... just set it right, try different settings etc etc... It´s a nice puzzle to solve if we have time to play!!

7. Default

Awesome. Thanks.

Much has already been said, but the issue still appears to be the reflective white board - why not get rid of it - or is this a film of an actual presentation, perhaps.? (The best movies are faked ).

A semi-fix is to reflect the light off the ceiling ( That's very diffuse, provided it's painted white) .

If the room is yours and used only by you
    A slightly stronger effect can be achieved by making the ceiling reflective ( as with kitchen foil ) - possibly using sheet ply/hardboard with the ali glued-on (spray adhesive?). This makes moving/construction easier. The light will appear to be positioned above the ceiling, so if the lamp is 4ft below, it will appear to be 4ft above . . . very useful if the there is restricted height.
    However, you may need quite a large sheet.

. . . Hope that helps . . . .
    Last edited by vidmanners; 01-21-2014 at 12:09 AM.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    Much has already been said, but the issue still appears to be the reflective white board - why not get rid of it - or is this a film of an actual presentation, perhaps.? (The best movies are faked ).

A semi-fix is to reflect the light off the ceiling ( That's very diffuse, provided it's painted white) .

If the room is yours and used only by you
    A slightly stronger effect can be achieved by making the ceiling reflective ( as with kitchen foil ) - possibly using sheet ply/hardboard with the ali glued-on (spray adhesive?). This makes moving/construction easier. The light will appear to be positioned above the ceiling, so if the lamp is 4ft below, it will appear to be 4ft above . . . very useful if the there is restricted height.
    However, you may need quite a large sheet.

. . . Hope that helps . . . .
    Doesn't light coming from that high up create shadows down my face?

Shadows are not an evil, you need them to give depth and expressions on faces.... Shadows on the board that were bad, although some "schools" may say it´s the right thing... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogme_95

Cheap philosophy: If there is light, there are shadows! The point in your video is where you put them!
    Last edited by TonyBR; 01-21-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast