Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble with Lighting

Default Trouble with Lighting

Hi VideoForum folks,
    I finally produced my first series on finance, but I'm having trouble with my lighting. As I played back my final video, I noticed that the video is really dark. By the end of the video, things got lighter again, and my face was better lit, but particularly near the beginning of the short film my face is really dark.

See here: http://www.lendingmemo.com/investing...-peer-lending/

Any suggestions for settings on my SLR? I use a Panasonic GH3.

Cheers,
    Simon

2. Default

Looks ok to me......I just wondered what those 2 bright circles either side of you on the whiteboard are, looks odd.

Projecting a slide from behind on a translucent screen would solve 99% of the shadows and the quality of the text. A headlight (from above/ slightly behind) could help too, in case you keep using the whiteboard....

You definitely must get rid of those two white circles on the board....by moving your light sources up/dow/sides (must try and see through your viewfinder!). They look terrible, even when the main subject is not video quality, but money..

As Paulears said, the camera is correcting the exposure when you move in front of the high reflective board, and your face gets darker/lighter accordingly. Try to set it manually and leave it in the best setting you find.

Question: can a person (private) officially lend money to another person (private) in UK?? Only banks and similar credited bussinesses can lend money here in Brazil...

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Projecting a slide from behind on a translucent screen would solve 99% of the shadows and the quality of the text. A headlight (from above/ slightly behind) could help too, in case you keep using the whiteboard....

You definitely must get rid of those two white circles on the board....by moving your light sources up/dow/sides (must try and see through your viewfinder!). They look terrible, even when the main subject is not video quality, but money..

As Paulears said, the camera is correcting the exposure when you move in front of the high reflective board, and your face gets darker/lighter accordingly. Try to set it manually and leave it in the best setting you find.

Question: can a person (private) officially lend money to another person (private) in UK?? Only banks and similar credited bussinesses can lend money here in Brazil...
    I already have the lights super elevated (can't go higher), and very much to the sides. Any further and they could start to cast shadows like my nose across my face. Is there any freakin' way to have lights behind my camera that stops them from reflecting on the board?

Here's a whiteboard that is lit quite well, in my opinion: http://moz.com/blog/what-should-i-put-on-the-homepage-whiteboard-friday

You can see their setup in this picture:
    Screen Shot 2014-01-20 at 9.08.49 AM.jpg

I tried to mimic their setup with two lights to either side and two behind.

Any help would be much appreciated. I have a decent budget for additional equipment, so fire away with suggestions.

Ok, let´s check some points first:

1) are you using softboxes to get a smoother light? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/St...7/N/4062040388

2) how many sources do you have? check the basic 3 point setup to start with. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_lighting I believe you will need 4 sources to get close to perfection.

3) are you sure you used the same setup (as from the picture) to run your video? Cause you´re getting shadows almost behind you, so your light source must be almost in front of you... On the setup picture you sent they are droping a lot of light on the board to kill shadows from a front light, that seems to be right on the camera.

4) the head/shoulder light I mentioned before is from the top and behind you, to kill the shadows and give more depth between you and the board. They got this with the 2 softboxes parallel to the board, that is behind you anyway...

5) quite important is the power of the lights you´re using. With dimmers you can control very well the sources and find a better balance among them.... Another option is to set different distances (not always possible in a small room), or aply filters in front of the softbox (white t-shirts work well if you´re using "cold" lights... ). For hot tungsten lamps you need fire proof materials.

You propably have access to a projector that you can plug to a computer, right? In case yes, you can project a powerpoint slide from behind a translucent screen ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...17&srtclk=sort
    ) and get a VERY professional result... If you´re producing a series of videos, the costs will be dissolved on many uses.... The beautiful Oblivion movie used this old and simple technique of rear projection to get some very nice effects... Of course the setup was a bit bigger...

The links I used are just suggestions...no connection to any shop!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post
    Ok, let´s check some points first:

1) are you using softboxes to get a smoother light? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/St...7/N/4062040388

2) how many sources do you have? check the basic 3 point setup to start with. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_lighting I believe you will need 4 sources to get close to perfection.

3) are you sure you used the same setup (as from the picture) to run your video? Cause you´re getting shadows almost behind you, so your light source must be almost in front of you... On the setup picture you sent they are droping a lot of light on the board to kill shadows from a front light, that seems to be right on the camera.

4) the head/shoulder light I mentioned before is from the top and behind you, to kill the shadows and give more depth between you and the board. They got this with the 2 softboxes parallel to the board, that is behind you anyway...

5) quite important is the power of the lights you´re using. With dimmers you can control very well the sources and find a better balance among them.... Another option is to set different distances (not always possible in a small room), or aply filters in front of the softbox (white t-shirts work well if you´re using "cold" lights... ). For hot tungsten lamps you need fire proof materials.

You propably have access to a projector that you can plug to a computer, right? In case yes, you can project a powerpoint slide from behind a translucent screen ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...17&srtclk=sort
    ) and get a VERY professional result... If you´re producing a series of videos, the costs will be dissolved on many uses.... The beautiful Oblivion movie used this old and simple technique of rear projection to get some very nice effects... Of course the setup was a bit bigger...

The links I used are just suggestions...no connection to any shop!!
    I'm not using softboxes, though the lights are covered with a white defuser shower cap looking thing that came with the lights. I ordered additional defuser paper, but it seemed to make the lights too dim so I took them out. Here is my equipment: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...interview.html

Except I have an extra 4th light to mimic that picture I posted. So I have two SpectroLED 14s in the front, and two SpectroLED 9s projecting behind me (one from the top right corner and one from the bottom left), though it doesn't look like it. All have dimmers, but I just keep them at full power because otherwise it's too dark, though I realize now that I could adjust the Panasonic GH3 aperture I'm using (my lens) instead of just maxing out light power.

Which softbox goes over these lights? Should I call BH and ask them that question?
    Last edited by simon389; 01-20-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Well, you can see that you´re not softening the source enough (for the given distance) because you get their exact shape reflected on the whiteboard... The sock keep the size of the source too small (point), while a softbox will create a big pannel of difuse light. Of course you alwyas loose a lot of light when aplying difusers, but in a small setup like yours, the sources you have are more than enough to film. And...yes, adjust your camera to a slower speed/larger aperture to compensate if needed... Today you can almost film in total darkness, but let´s not get there... It´s too noisy!!

I believe you have enough light and resources to solve the problem well. Softening the small "lamps" is the next step. At BH they offer umbrellas to your kit... I don´t like umbrellas, but they work well in a reflective mode (you loose a lot of power, but it gets soft, really soft!!).

did I get moderated??

Interesting... I posted 2 messages that disapeared...

10. Default

Me too. I think a follow up comment included a link from Amazon, so it got flagged for mod approval.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast