Thread: Trailer For Watership Down

Default Trailer For Watership Down

Hey Folks,

I've been trying to get back into the art of editing trailers so as a project at home I cut together a new trailer for one of my old favourites - Watership Down. Any comments would really be appreciated!

[link removed]

Sean
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 01-22-2014 at 08:02 AM.

I am not that much into trailer editing but did you get the copyright clear?

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    I am not that much into trailer editing but did you get the copyright clear?
    Sorry I don't think I understand? Do you mean from the distributors?

From the publisher. You are using third party content and broadcasting it world-wide. Usually you need a license agreement to do so.

From the publisher. You are using third party content and broadcasting it world-wide. Usually you need a license agreement to do so.
    Yes, thanks, but I would argue that it heavily depends on the context. Copyright is there so that other people can't make money or further themselves by using your intellectual property. If you produce and broadcast a trailer for a film worldwide, referring to it's title and director, I would think it extremely unlikely that the people involved in making it or distributing it are going to be displeased as you are essentially promoting their film (as well as the book it is based upon in this case). Furthermore, I spent about two weeks putting it together to try and ensure it was made to as professional a standard as possible. This is one of my favourite films of all time and if I were to direct more attention to it, in a small way, I would feel very fulfilled.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately that's not how those with power and influence regard copyright. And copyright holders have been known to make examples of individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by themachinist View Post
    I would think it extremely unlikely that the people involved in making it or distributing it are going to be displeased as you are essentially promoting their film
    As somebody being very active in the Youtube help forum and dealing with accounts terminated due to copyright issues literally on a daily basis I unfortunately have to disagree. I won't blame you for your effort and just wanted to point out you are playing a risky game. You surely did not have any bad intentions but publisher can get quite protective when it comes to their content.

My suggestion would be simply to ask the copyright holders before you use their content. At least the question doesn't cost you any money. Some will even allow you to use their content for free but you are only safe if you have such a permission (preferably in writing and signed).
    Last edited by XXLRay; 01-22-2014 at 08:01 AM.

As somebody being very active in the Youtube help forum and dealing with accounts terminated due to copyright issues literally on a daily basis I unfortunately have to disagree. I won't blame you for your effort and just wanted to point out you are playing a risky game. You surely did not have any bad intentions but publisher can get quite protective when it comes to their content.
    Thank you both, I fully appreciate what you're saying. I've decided I'm going to send this trailer to said publisher/distributor for approval, with an explanation as to why I made it - they can then be aware of it's existence and prompted as to whether they would like me to remove it from Youtube immediately. I would never want to be thought of as misusing or misrepresenting someone else's material by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Unfortunately that's not how those with power and influence regard copyright. And copyright holders have been known to make examples of individuals.
    Marc - I've read your amended rules and therefore apologise for my post. If you are able to do so, could you please remove all my posts and delete my account? Thank you.