Thread: Batch Video Editing

Default Batch Video Editing

I was wondering if anyone can assist with the following problem, it sounds like a riddle so apologies in advance; I am looking for a solution to systematically edit and combine two videos of the same event.

So I have two Mpeg4 video recordings of the same subject (e.g. tennis game) both of which are exactly 60 minutes long (different angles of the same game). One Camera focuses on player 1 and the other focuses on player 2.

I manually capture the time when player 1 serves, player 2 serves and so on in excel, or some other database,

I want to be able to combine the videos post event, focusing on each player when they serve without having to manually go in edit and combine each video into a single linear representation.

I need it to be system driven from excel, xml or some sort of digital instruction.

in an ideal world I upload the XML instruction and the video editor wizzes along and spits out the final edited file. Im not worried about transitions or final polishing of video. Well not at this stage anyway.

A live switcher won't work either during the games, it has to be done after the game.

The end result might look something like this:

-In/Out edit from Camera (A) running from 1 minute to 5 minutes

-In/out edit from amera (B) running from 6 minutes to 10 minutes and so on.

I am not a video person but gather that this type of process could or may fall under the heading of 'batch list editing' but I am not really sure if thats right.

Help! I have trawled the internet without much success.

Thanks

The Command Line app "FFMPEG" may be very suitable.

Openshot stores project files as xml

Blog Entries

I'm intrigued as to why you would want to do this. I'm not doubting you've got a good reason, but to my simple way of thinking, putting the two videos on separate tracks in a video editor and cutting between them would be far quicker than logging the times for each cut in a spreadsheet or XML.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I'm intrigued as to why you would want to do this. I'm not doubting you've got a good reason, but to my simple way of thinking, putting the two videos on separate tracks in a video editor and cutting between them would be far quicker than logging the times for each cut in a spreadsheet or XML.
    I should have explained, the logging is done automatically. We have a sensor which can tell when Player A is serving and Player b is service. We dont want to have to manaully edit the videos. We would prefer to be able to input the system generated file, and the video editing software does the work. Ideally you want to be in a position where you can hand each player a completed DVD of the game 15 minutes after they finish.

Some further thoughts:
    Your options may depend on what platform you use (windows/mac etc) and what video editing software you want to use.
    But I suspect some scripting would be required in order to convert the data from your sensors into the correct format for your software.
    For example. XXLRay's post suggests that with the right conversion script, Openshot would do the whole job. Alternatively, the converter could create an "EDL List" file which may be partly supported by Sony's Vegas and Adobe Premiere. Even my possible suggestion of using "FFMPEG" would require a conversion script to produce a suitable input file.