Thread: ANy hints or tips for doing a voice over on a budget

Default ANy hints or tips for doing a voice over on a budget

Hi guys,I done a voice over for a documentary I been working on and it sounds poor.

Any hints or tips.

Thanks

A better microphone might help. If you don't have an audio studio record in a wardrobe.

In the absence of a studio, make a 'mini studio' in a cardboard box. Cut one end off the narrow side of a rectangular cardboard box, place HD carpet underlay on table, line box with underlay, then turn upside down over table. Pierce a hole at top rear of box and feed mic cable through from inside box to your recorder. Pierce a few more holes in 'roof' of box and thread elastic bands through holes to provide a cradle for the microphone that's now inside the box.
    You're now ready to record! I've recorded a few voice overs using this emergency method including using a voice over guy.
    It looks ever so slightly ridiculous . . . But it works fine even with a low end mic!

p.s. just in case I missed spelling out the 'bleedin obvious' - speak into the open end of the box, thus shielding any room noise from the interior.
    Last edited by Zero; 01-13-2014 at 09:08 AM.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Perhaps OP can tell us how "poor" the audio is?
    -and how he's recording it?
    ie precautions taken, background noise, - and there's the prickly Q whether his voice is up to the task? To this end has he other "good" recordings? - done under pro-conditions, that he wants to achieve....

Whilst Zero's set-up will 90% fix it, OP might like to record a short VO "under the bedclothes" - this is "almost perfection" =zero-echo ( and can be fixed in Edit* ) and is done without any constructional effort. I'm not suggesting he does the actual VO this way, rather it may establish if his voice is up to the task - & useful to practice different "tones" -or- accents, etc . . . as no-one will hear you!
    ((A simple poem that comes to mind will do to establish clarity.))

Hope that helps, but would like to know how the original VO is failing . . .

* EDIT - by using resonance, tonal fix, reverb, etc.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 01-13-2014 at 12:17 PM.

The VO kicks in at 0:30 point

Part of the problem seems to be that there's no real 'dip' in the music to allow the narration to shine. Ok, it's not a pro VO, but another try at producing one in a mini studio/under the bedclothes, with clearer intonation and more emphasis on certain words will lift it a lot.
    Try watching a few with pro VOs to see how they handle a subject like this.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Thanks for feedback,dont know what the misses will think when she finds me in bed with all the recording stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Part of the problem seems to be that there's no real 'dip' in the music to allow the narration to shine. Ok, it's not a pro VO, but another try at producing one in a mini studio/under the bedclothes, with clearer intonation and more emphasis on certain words will lift it a lot.
    Try watching a few with pro VOs to see how they handle a subject like this.

I know on your other post your getting very similar comments about sound quality. Suggestions have been made about using 'bedclothes' and even a 'wardrobe', but my suggestion 'above' will work better, mainly because you can watch the TV screen while you record and re-record your script into a recorder until you're timing your narration to the clips perfectly - Impact and intonation, especially with a boxing promo, is everything.

UPDATE, I tried the under the bed clothes method today and its a much better sound.

I will post a new link when I get it online.

Thanks for all the help and advice.